• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Link for New Refrigerator Recommendation and LG Compressor Piercing Valve Installation

Hien Nguyen

Premium Member
Model Number
LMX28988ST/00
Brand
LG
My LG refrigerator LMX28988ST/00 was purchased in August 2010, and now both the refrigerator and freezer are not cold. After days of reading similar issue from members of this Appliance Blog, my research indicated that my LG refrigerator has "sealed system leak" issue (please see pictures on two different diagnostic days).

LG will replace the linear compressor under warranty, but I still need to pay for labor costs. However, due to COVID-19 situation, my wife does not want any strangers inside the house at this time, so we will wait for the repair afterward (prior to August 2020). Since the refrigerator is about 10 years old, there may be other unknown issues to it that will increase the repair costs beyond the worth of the refrigerator.

We are weighting the option of purchasing a new refrigerator. My Appliance Blog research indicates avoiding LG and Samsung, but should purchase Whirlpool, Maytag, KitchenAid, Amana or Kenmore model number starting with 106. I am looking for the link that Mr. Jake, Appliance Tech-Admin has posted for those recommended refrigerators. A quick phone call to local Lowe's and Home Depot, delivery time for any appliance is 10-14 days.

In the meanwhile, do you recommend I add more refrigerant 134a into the system by installing the piercing valve to the compressor? We just need the refrigerator to run until we decide either to purchase new refrigerator or to repair the current LG.

Thanks for your support.

Hien Nguyen
2020-04-05.jpg 2020-04-07.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Nope, adding more R-134a won't make any difference, the problem is the compressor itself not pumping the refrigerant through the sealed system properly. The compressor itself is the problem.

Jake

Hien Nguyen

Premium Member
Jake, thanks for the information about the R-134a.

Do you have a link to the recommended refrigerators for comparisons? We are planning to purchase a new refrigerator, are there any quality differences between 4-door vs. side-by-side?

Be safe and thanks,

Hien Nguyen

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member