• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

LMX28988ST LG French Door Fridge works but freezer won't get below 45F

spoiler427

Premium Member
Model Number
LMX28988ST
Brand
LG
Hello, my LG Refrigerator (LMX28988ST) is acting up. The fridge stays cold, but the freezer won't freeze (its stays around 45 degrees F). It has the french doors for the fridge, 2 drawers for the bottom freezer.

Things I have done/checked
-Cleaned coils and fans
-verified condensor and evap fans are working ( 3 total)
-checked freeze, refrigerator, and RT sensors for correct temperature / ohm readings
-Checked for frozen coils in freezer (they were not frozen)
-Ran PCB board tests (factory test mode button) - no error codes
-I can hear/feel compressor running. It gets pretty warm (i can touch the compressor without it burning or hurting)
-Checked drain (it appeared clear)

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

-Steve

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

-Checked for frozen coils in freezer (they were not frozen)
Run the refrigerator for at least 60 minutes, access the evaporator/cooling coils and snap a picture of the frost pattern and post the picture here.

jeff.

spoiler427

Premium Member
Thanks. I ran it for 2 hours and pulled the cover off. There really was very little frost on the coils. The only apparent frost was on one of the tubes going to the coil assembly.

20180217_102418.jpg 20180217_102427.jpg

spoiler427

Premium Member
If its low on freon, has anyone had any luck with this DIY method for adding R134A? It basically uses a bullet piercing valve and auto a/c freon.

youtube.com/watch?v=aMmbF4PBc2Q

TMTEMP

Premium Member
from everything that i've read, you cannot put 134A Auto freon in a refrigerator that needs R134 because the Auto uses PAG oil and the refrigerator uses POE oil but this is only what i have read. I actually have been looking for 134A POE freon for 2 days now and cannot find it online anywhere so I may have to bite the bullet and pay to have freon put into mine :(