• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

LMX30746S not cooling at all

K_Mann

Premium Member
Model Number
LMX30746S
Brand
LG
This french door LMX30746S has some history

Unrelated to the problem, but interesting info - it was delivered in 2014. The sliding half-shelf never worked right -- the slightest touch on the outboard edge and the glass would FLY back to the half shelf position. Could not find the cause -- until I moved the shelf and with no shelf to the left of it, no problem, But when mated to a shelf at the same level; -- wham, it was spring-loaded and would SHOOT backward. I traced it down to the interior shell being misformed. The right-hand shelf did not sit square, it was tipped to the left and when interlocked with another shelf bracket it put stress on the slider and it was spring-loaded like a rochet taking off. I there were any light items on the half shelf they would get flung off (messy!) The first tech saw the problem but had to order new shelves, knowing that was not the solution (so I have extra shelves for a fridge that is dead,) The 2nd tech confirmed the cause and LG replaced the fridge. no question.

On to the cooling problem -- 2019 (was out of service/in storage 6-months during a move/house hunt) as soon as plugged into the new house it did not cool at all and displayed an evapo fan error. I traced it down to a bad fridge fan (sticky/worn rotor due to a wobble/off-center squirrel cage or whatever) and I replaced it. Easy-peasy. Still no cool (and I believe the error still displayed.) Tech time -- set up a call thru home warranty - the tech said it was a sealed system and WILL NOT work on LG sealed systems they are so bad. I set up a service call thru LG - and the tech walked cold to my door with a fridge evapo in hand. HUH? WTF? How does he know what's wrong? Replaced the evapo and away she went, cool down. Apparently, they are crap and over time corrode and develop pinholes?? I don't think they are meant to hold refrigerant if they have pinholes, and you can't just toss in a can of radiator Bar's Leak. (at least I don't see a place to do that.) THEN I had to have him back the next week cus it still wasn't cold enough -- not like when new. More 134a, back to cooling. Where did it go to if he fully recharged it???? (He did not have an answer for that stumper.)

Now a year later, nearly to the day, and both fridge and freezer are dead. All fans work, compressor felt like it was running. Might mention that the whole thing never really got as cold as when new, but LG would always come up with BS reasons like using it too much or temp set too cold. HUH? It's an 'EFFIN fridge. And set TOO COLD? it doesn't get cold enough, am I stupid?
But anyway is was marginally okay and were glad to have it back among the family.

So - back to the NO codes, ALL fans run - but compartments hot as a pistol, no cool whatsoever. PCB not blinking. That was since last Sun night (now Friday). Can't get a service call till Monday (LG is TERRIBLE!! - I believe NO ONE wants to work on them so their only auth reps are overwhelmed.)
Did the test board button test a couple times -- NOW saw this AM that there's a BLINK-6 on the PCB LED -- that must have started overnight. I am going to unplug and let 'er rest/try again -- but does this mean a dead compressor? These units are SO BAD - I read about the class action lawsuits. LG extended the compressor warranty but the sealed unit is still 5 years I believe. So I wonder what they will do with this if anything.

IT IS A SHAME because I love the features -- it makes a superb display piece that doesn't work, but great features to talk about and point to. It's shame that Maytag or a reliable fridge maker couldn't adopt all the Korean's features and make a display unit that also cools and freezes correctly (and continues to do so for 20 years.)

Oh BTW the 1st tech last yr said the cond fan was noisy and needed to be replaced -- and if I had enough sense to troubleshoot/replace the fridge fan I could replace that one. YEAH. NOT. The fan is NOTHING like shown in the service manual for that model and different than shown in YouTubes of LG evapo fans. The manual says, "one screw" on the bracket - then shows a pic separating the fan from the carrier. Nice pics but no pic of actually REMOVING it from the chassis. The bracket/fan WILL NOT pass by the other components to come out. It was ridiculous. I put it down three times over 3 days thinking I was missing something and went at it fresh each time. NO WAY. The fan motor and carrier WOULD NOT come out in one piece. NO ROOM to do so no matter how I twisted, turned, rotated or forced. I had to literally disassemble the fan with it inside the chassis, and force the pieces out, then reassemble the new fan/carrier/bracket whence back inside the case. TALK ABOUT needing small fingers and small tools. OMG and the swear words - I thought I know them all (I am a sailor.) It was ridiculous. The fan is sandwiched in between in the center of the chassis, rather than most YouTubes showing the LG fan being on the outside (right side of the condenser and easily replaced?

ANYWAY, any idea of a prognosis based on the current situation??

Thx
Ken

K_Mann

Premium Member
BTW, here is the Service Manual in case anyone needs one.

Attachments

• LG fridge LMX30746S service manual.pdf
    40.2 MB · Views: 74

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Ken,

LG has had many issues building major home appliances, they can't seem to make them last, especially the compressors, it would of been better for them to just stay with what they know best: TV's, Monitor's, Cell phones.

If the compressor is running and there is no frost on the evaporator coils, then you have a sealed system problem. The sealed system consists of the compressor, condenser, evaporator, heat exchanger, filter/drier and refrigerant. Common problems with a sealed system are bad compressors, refrigerant leaks, and system restrictions. Sealed system repair costs will often exceed the machines value.

Hopefully you can convince them to replace the compressor under warranty, if not your looking at too much money to put into it at that age.

Jake

K_Mann

Premium Member
Hey Jake

There’s no frost, nothing is even chilly no less cold. The linear compressor is 10 yr warranty but I fear that the tubing and/or valves are pooched as well. What I’ve read is that even if the comp is replaced oftentimes that doesn’t solve the problem. Wouldn’t fixing associated parts be covered if the comp is replaced?

I understand that the original comp is NLA and LG is replacing (all?) fridge comps with a new “universal compressor.”

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Wouldn’t fixing associated parts be covered if the comp is replaced?
Yes Ken.

I understand that the original comp is NLA and LG is replacing (all?) fridge comps with a new “universal compressor.”
That maybe the case, I don't do compressor installs for LG under warranty, so I really can't say yes or no to that, as I don't know.

Jake