Status
Not open for further replies.

levinx

Premium Member
Model Number
LMXS30776S
Brand
LG
Thanks in advance for reading and helping with this. This may get pretty long...

I bought this LG LMXS30776S/02 refrigerator (Product Code GR-J31GHSJM.ASTCNA2) in Nov 2015 at Lowe's and after reading many of the posts from here, I realized that was a terrible decision...

Around October this year (2017) the refrigerator started making unbearable noise. Called a service guy to come over, and he took off the back panel in the freezer compartment and it was full of ice. He used a hair dryer and melted the ice away and the noise was gone. Then he replaced the defrost thermostat and the PCB board at the back and the defrost started working.

However, couple days later, there was an error "E rf" (pretty sure about this, NOT Er rf) popped up. By the time I checked the freezer was fine (food was frozen hard) but the upper refrigerator compartment was 63F. Then I found this forum and learned it was the freezer evaporator fan (now i know this should be the evaporation fan). I found the service manual and looked up the diagnostics and apparently the service manual says there should be 3 wires for the evaporation motor on CON6 but I have 4 wires! I went ahead and tested the voltage anyway, assuming the black and red wires are for the 12 DCV and the other purple and yellows wires are for the feedback. The board fed around 9V to the motor. The feedback reading was 5V when the motor wasn't plugged in. So the board seems functional. Also I reset the power and clicked the test button for 1 time to activate all the fans. The ice maker fan spin fine but not the evaporation fan.

then I ordered an evaporation fan from appliancepartspros, according to their part number index system, i ordered EAU61524007. When it arrived, it had only 3 wires on it instead of 4! I had to take out my evaporation motor in the freezer compartment and find out the actual part I need was EAU63103204. When it came in, I went into the test mode, no dice.... I have a DC power supply at home so I wired the power supply to feed 12 DCV into the motors' black and red wires (both polarity), none of the three motors would spin. Also measured the voltage from the feedback wires and it was 3V. My question here: does this mean all three motors are faulty?

Last night I was doing more readings here and wanted to check my refrigerator fan. I removed the top back cover and went into the test mode. It turned out the refrigerator fan wasn't spinning either! I removed the fan and again it has 4 wires on it. I tested the voltage between the black and red wire and it read 15V. Then I hooked the fan on my DC power supply and it spins fine at 12 or 15V. Plugging the fan back onto the refrigerator, no dice again.... I am really confused.... I didn't put the fan back into the center duct unit, instead I laid the fan in the refrigerator and went to bed. When I woke up this morning, the refrigerator got to 28F.... but the freezing compartment wasn't frozen at all. A new error "E FF" popped up this time.....

Oh also earlier this week, I had the service guy come back again and replaced the PCB board (he thinks it was a fault PCB board) but everything remained the same.

My suspect:
since both the evaporation fan and refrigerator fan I found online (by looking up the refrigerator model number) have three-wire harnesses, and the actual parts on my refrigerator have four-wire harnesses, I high suspect the board that the service guy put on wasn't the right one. I mean, the board he put on may only have three pins for each fan instead of four pins, in my case. I haven't talked to him about this yet. Last time he said he has disposed the original PCB board and I don't know exactly what's the part number on that original board.... I couldn't find any information anywhere either... The PCB board the service guys put on is "EBR78643401"

Thanks again for taking your time to read through this and any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Lesson I've learned so far, never buy LG refrigerator!!

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Here's the PCB board for your model: EBR78643401

E rf=refrigerator fan motor error

E ff=freezer fan motor error

Reset the unit by unplugging the unit for 5 minutes. Return power and wait for compressor to start.

Remove the control board cover and look for the reset button on the control board. Press the button one time to start test.

It will activate the cooling mode. Feel for any air flow blowing through the vents in the refrigerator. If not, pull the fan assembly out and check the motor for freedom of movement. If the motor is kinda sticking, replace the fan motor.

If everything looks ok, check the output at the control board. CON6 - 3rd pin and 5th pin for voltage. Should be 8-14 volts. If not, change the board: EBR78643401

If the board is ok, check the feedback line for 1 - 5 volts. CON6 1st pin and 5th pin. If no voltage, replace the fan motor: EAU61505014

Let us know what you find.

Jake

DR Za

Premium Member
Well, shoot. I have the same model LMXS30776S/02 ASTCNA2. Fan in fridge, not freezer, is making noise, ordered part EAU61505014 and its identical but has 3 wires instead of 4 and different connector than the one in my fridge. Cant find the 4 wire fan anywhere online, chat with searsdirect was no help. Should I just splice the old connector to the new fan and leave the 4th wire loose?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's very odd, it should match up to yours that has 4 wires, I have no clue why its only coming with 3 wires. I have haven't run into this problem before, so I really don't know what to tell you to do.

Hopefully another tech. that's seen this before can shed light on it for us.

Jake

DR Za

Premium Member
I took apart the new motor/fan and it looks like I can easily transfer the fan body to the current 4 wire motor. Will post pics and results.

DR Za

Premium Member
New fan installed on old motor. Apparently the problem is the bearing inside the motor making the noise, dangit. It's totally sealed up, no way to fix.

Good news is I got a part number I've never seen before and I ordered EAU62863003 Refrigerator Motor. No image available, I sure hope it has 4 wires.

Here's some pics - 20180429_131744.jpg20180429_131217.jpg20180429_131331.jpg20180429_132107.jpg20180429_133142.jpg20180429_133152.jpg

DR Za

Premium Member
Success! The new part just arrived and it's the correct connector. How do I make sure people can find this info? Start a new thread?

LMXS30776S/02 ASTCNA2 correct fan/motor part for refrigerator: EAU62863003

20180503_121441.jpg20180503_121607.jpg20180503_121503.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, good find on that motor part number.:)

I'll make this thread a sticky so it stays on top of this forum.:)

Jake

lilzeus

Premium Member
I have a very similar problem with my LMXS30776S, it has stopped cooling suddenly. Its possible a door was left slightly ajar over night. When I plug it in and put it into test mode and checked the voltages on CON6 3 and 1, their readings were 13v and 2.5v respectively. In test mode I feel cool air coming out of the vents for the fridge. How cold should it feel? Once test mode ends, everything shuts off. After a couple minutes a fan turns on and seems to stay on. However, if the doors stay closed a second fan kicks on but turns off when they're opened.
The Smart Diagnostics app says it can't find any problem.
Thanks for any help. :)

lilzeus

Premium Member
I just ran the test mode again and the air coming out of the refrigerator is not cold. The freezer air feels cool/cold but I can't measure it.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

You'll need to go to any local store in your area and buy a refrigerator/freezer thermometer so you can tell us what the temperature is in both sides.

The problem isn't your fan motor.:)

I moved your posts to a new thread here: LMXS30776S It has stopped cooling suddenly

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.