LMXS30776S/02 Stopped cooling today, believe its evap fan related

Bepding

Premium Member
Model Number
LMXS30776S/02
Brand
LG
Hello-

I noticed this morning the air in my fridge was warm and stale. My first troubleshooting step was to clean the condenser coil which was pretty dirty, I don't think the previous homeowners had ever done it before and I'm kicking myself for not doing it in the last year we've lived here. After that the condenser fan ran much quieter and I thought everything was ok. An hour later it was only 1 degree cooler in there then before. Basically long story short, the compressor seems fine, the condenser is now clean and the condenser fan runs normally when its plugged in but I noticed neither fan runs the one in the freezer nor the one in the refrigerator. I opened the panel in the fridge and the evap coil is not iced over, its cold but not icing up. I'm attaching a picture I took.

So because evap fans are not running I'm thinking this isnt a fan motor thats gone bad, more like some kind of PCB. This is where my amateur troubleshooting skills end, I have no idea where to begin determining whats the cause. Please help.

Thanks,
brian

Oh I forgot to mention, I'm not sure if they are somehow related but about 2 months ago the light stopped coming on when you pulled the customizable drawer out, I chalked it up to the LED bulb going out. Maybe thats part of the same PCB?

Attachments

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

If the compressor is running and there is no frost on the evaporator coils thats a sealed system problem. The sealed system consists of the compressor, condenser, evaporator, heat exchanger, filter/drier and refrigerant. Common problems with a sealed system are bad compressors, refrigerant leaks, and system restrictions.

Check your owners manual warranty, some LG models have up to a 5-10 year warranty on the compressor and/or sealed system.

Jake

Bepding

Premium Member
So I pressed the "Test" button on the main PCB, it got the fans running again and even fixed my light in the drawer problem. However it still wont cool past 55. I called LG, they are sending parts and a tech on Monday. You're right jake, this one had a 10 year warranty on compressor and 7 year on sealed system. Pretty awesome on LG's part, I'm happy with that. I'll update after monday.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.

Jake

Bepding

Premium Member
Forgot to update this but the compressor is covered under a 10 year warranty and they came and swapped it out and it’s cooling again!

ive noticed some strange electrical gremlins though, that customizable drawer light that has been off for months and started working when I pressed the test button on the PCB stopped working again 24hrs later and I noticed last night I’m pretty certain the powered Air filter/fan isn’t coming on when selected.IIRC you used to be able to audibly hear it running, now nothing when I press the button. Lastly, the techs that replaced the compressor had trouble “programming” it when they were done and had to get on the phone with LG. Could these 3 be related and where should I start to diagnose the issue?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No, don't mess with it, Its LG's responsibility to come back to see what's going on, and the tech can call LG from your house again to fix it for you. If you mess with it, they can void your warranty, Then your up a creek.

Jake

Bepding

Premium Member
I should have been more clear, the techs didn't cause these issues they existed before the compressor went out. I'm well outside the 1 year warranty on the electronics. I just found it strange that pressing the test button on the PCB caused the light to work in that drawer again, then 24 hrs later it stops.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member