LMXS30776S ice buildup in freezer causing fan noise

kris77

Premium Member
Model Number
LMXS30776S
Brand
LG
Hey all,

I've been having a reoccurring problem with my LG for a few months now. I start noticing the fan making a noise when operating. It sounds like a playing card in a bicycle spoke. When i take the freezer panel off, the top left side of the evaporator coil is completely covered in ice. And that ice is starting to touch the fan blades thus making the noise. I chip off all the ice and it's good for a few more months till it starts building up again. It's becoming a real pain to take the freezer apart every few months to fix this. I'm not sure what the problem is. I was thinking the defroster isn't working on that side, but that doesn't make much sense when the rest of the coil is clear of ice buildup. Maybe the defrost sensor?

Any ideas what could be causing ice buildup only on the top left corner behind the fan? I read there is a new fan model out that has a built in heater to help with this, but I cant seem to find much information about it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
... the top left side of the evaporator coil is completely covered in ice. the rest of the coil is clear of ice buildup.
Any cooling issues?? That's a good description of a sealed system problem. Can you take some pictures and post them here??

kris77

Premium Member
No cooling issues at all. The rest of the coil is nice and frosted like it should be. Just the upper left corner gets iced up after a while. I just cleaned it off about 5 days ago, so it will take a wile for it to build back up again.

Anything I can test in the meantime? Defrost sensor? Heater?

rickgburton

Staff member
Just the upper left corner gets iced up
Is that where the refrigerant lines enter the compartment? When it frosts over how do you defrost it?

kris77

Premium Member
Lines enter on the upper right. Ice builds up on the upper left. Usually I just chip off all the ice and put it back together. The first time it happened, i used a hair dryer and melted most of it. Ever since then, i've just chipped the ice/frost off. There is always some still left on there, but not much.

rickgburton

Staff member
That might be the problem. Defrost the entire evaporator with a hair dryer and make sure all the frost is gone. Give it enough time for any water on the evaporator to drip off before you plug it back in. Any ice or frost still on the coils after a defrost cycle, even a small piece in the corner, will continue to build on itself.