• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

LMXS30776S refrigerator not cooling (top or bottom)

jryan15

Premium Member
Model Number
LMXS30776S
Brand
LG
Hi all. I'm back again way too quickly.

Sometime yesterday my LMXS30776S quit cooling. Both the fridge and the freezer were warm.

I did a couple quick checks and saw that the condenser fan was working. I also put the system into test mode and confirmed that both of the fans in the freezer compartment are also working now.

FWIW - When removing the evap. fan shroud in the freezer compartment (before I had ever unplugged the unit), I could see that the line set at the top right side behind the shroud was completely iced over.

I'm at a loss now so any help would be fantastic.

Thanks,
Jason

jryan15

Premium Member
Also FWIW, when the fridge is plugged in and running and I open the fridge door, I don't feel any air blowing out of the vents (maybe this is normal). When I put it into test mode and open the door, I can feel air blowing out.

jryan15

Premium Member
Nothing yet, come on hook a premium member up please... My wife's ready to call in help...

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Please be patient, we have become overwhelmed here since the Covid-19 stay at home orders went into effect.

FWIW - When removing the evap. fan shroud in the freezer compartment (before I had ever unplugged the unit), I could see that the line set at the top right side behind the shroud was completely iced over.
The compressor is running.
If the compressor is running and you are only getting frost on the top right side of your evaporator coil that means you have a sealed system problem. Sealed system problems are very common with LG refrigerators, you will need to contact LG to come out under warranty to fix it for free.

The most common cause of a sealed system problem on LG is faulty compressors. If you google search LG refrigerator compressor failures you will see massive amounts of news articles come up on this problem nationwide.

Jake

jryan15

Premium Member
Thanks Jake. That is what I was afraid of. Since I bought this bad boy used, do you think LG would honor a warranty claim? Also I can see that on the left side of the compressor there is a charge port. I don't know if this means the comp. was replaced before or if maybe someone came out and just recharged the system.

If I'm out of warranty is LG the best route to have it fixed? I'm getting $800 quotes to replace it.

Should I have the condenser coils replaced at the same time considering that the comp. may have been replaced once already?

I'm considering doing it myself since I do have some of the equipment already, but it'd be a first. I'd rather bleed some DIY bucks than to get worked by a potentially unscrupulous company (we're still reading local reviews).

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
That's definitely a sealed system problem.
... do you think LG would honor a warranty claim?
If it's under warranty, yes they should. They go by serial number.
... there is a charge port. I don't know if this means the comp. was replaced before or if maybe someone came out and just recharged the system.
It means whoever added the service valve thought there was a sealed system issue. LG has had a lot of problems with their linear compressor. I believe they are replacing it with something else.
... is LG the best route to have it fixed? I'm getting $800 quotes to replace it.
$800 is in the ball park. LG uses a local appliance repair company to do warranty work. So it's an authorized service company that does the work.
I'm considering doing it myself since I do have some of the equipment already,
Go to PM.