Location of water / drain hookups

dingo

Premium Member
My wife and I are building a new house and trying to decide on a washer / dryer set. The laundry room is already built and the water / drain is on the right side of the wall.

We have been given some conflicting information on problems that may exist with front load machines and water on the right.

Our builder originally told us that we could use front loads, but could not use pedestals because the extra height would make drainage and water supply difficult for the machines to pull off.

Then a salesman told us, no problems at all...but he didn't know what side the water was on.

Then another salesman told us that if the water supply is on the right we would need to use top load machines instead of front load because it would be difficult for the water to get in and out of the washer.

So we are confused. It seems to be standard to put the water on the right, but with the way the doors open on the machines the washer usually has to go on the left (except for Miele or those with doors that can be swapped).

We had narrowed down our choices to the LG Tromm (with Steam) or the Whirlpool Duets.

Is there any definitive information on this or am I leaving out something that would factor in here?

Bambiblaster

Appliance Tech
I think they are all nuts... you can buy longer fill hoses and a drain hose extension kit... the HE and DUET water connections are on the rear top left and the drain on the rear top right.. New Lg's not sure have not had to fix one yet to see..

dingo

Premium Member
Thanks for the reply. I spoke with a knowledgable gentleman today at the Great Indoors and he pretty much said the same thing. He said it doesn't matter if the water is on the left or right, if the drain is on the left or right and if the dryer vent is on the left or right...the most important part was that the water and drain be around 34 inches off the floor. He said that hoses and vent ducts can be extended no problem. I'm not sure where these other people were getting their information...odd.