Looking for a compressor for a 1947 SJ-6 GM/Frigidaire Refrigerator.

Pilon29

Premium Member
Looking for a compressor for a 1947 SJ-6 Refrigerator. We inherited a 1947 GM/Frigidaire Refrigerator from my in laws and it worked great until we had a moving company move it to our new home and then it stopped working. We had it repainted to my favorite teams color. I want to get it repaired but have not found anything that would work as a retro fit, so I am looking for an original part. Unless anyone has any other ideas.

Attachments

• Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    445.1 KB · Views: 71
  • Frigidaire SJ-6 Fridge.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 63

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Pilon29 said:
it worked great until we had a moving company move it to our new home and then it stopped working.

Is the compressor running?

Is the compressor getting power??

If it is not running, maybe a wire came off? Maybe the thermostat is not switching power to it?

What makes you sure it's the compressor?

Pilon29 said:
Looking for a compressor for a 1947 SJ-6 Refrigerator.

That is extremely, EXTREMELY unlikely and I doubt any other more modern compressor would be able to be installed... if you could even find someone willing to do the work. The refrigerant used in that model has also been discontinued for 20+ years.

There are companies that will totally revamp the refrigeration system in an old fridge but that job usually goes for $3,000-$5,000 and you'd have to transport the refrigerator to them which might be another several hundred dollars.

How much is it worth to you?? Personally I wouldn't pay 1¢ for a Leafs logo fridge. :ROFLMAO:

Dan O.

Pilon29

Premium Member
Is the compressor running?

Is the compressor getting power??

If it is not running, maybe a wire came off? Maybe the thermostat is not switching power to it?

What makes you sure it's the compressor?

That is extremely, EXTREMELY unlikely and I doubt any other more modern compressor would be able to be installed... if you could even find someone willing to do the work. The refrigerant used in that model has also been discontinued for 20+ years.

There are companies that will totally revamp the refrigeration system in an old fridge but that job usually goes for $3,000-$5,000 and you'd have to transport the refrigerator to them which might be another several hundred dollars.

How much is it worth to you?? Personally I wouldn't pay 1¢ for a Leafs logo fridge. :ROFLMAO:

Dan O.
Now! Now! Be nice!! It's all about the fridge!!! That's a lot more then I am prepared to spend.

Pilon29

Premium Member
Now! Now! Be nice!! It's all about the fridge!!! That's a lot more then I am prepared to spend.
Dan, Sorry I know it's the compressor because it seized up and the repair people that deal in antique appliances tried to save it did everything we could to test it.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
If the compressor really is toast, I'm afraid it will not be economical to repair. Sorry. It could still be used for storage.

Dan O.