Looking for a electric range and over the range microwave

bassett72

Premium Member
Wondering which brands are the most reliable and which features I want/don't want in both an electric range and a over the range microwave? I've been toying with a double oven, but I've really seen mixed messages on this. We love to bake and just not sure if a convection is the way to go. Also, is that just another thing to break down. We would want a glass top, no electric coils.

Please advise with as much as you can here. Thanks....OH, and not that it should matter,we are looking for print free stainless like the other appliances we have (whirlpool fridge and maytag dishwasher).

If you have specific models you would recommend, I'd love that as well.

OH, and how big of a deal is 1000 watts vs. 1100 watts?

Thanks....

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Whirlpool and Maytag are the most reliable.

Don't get induction, way too many problems.

The more watts the better.

Jake

bassett72

Premium Member
Thanks for the note. So going with 1100 watts over 1000 watts would be a noticeable difference?

Anyone have any insight on convection vs. non-convection and double over vs. single oven?

In regards to a microwave-----the traditional side controls with a handle vs. the touch controls on the bottom of the door with no handle?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Rick knows more about the microwaves than I.

All I know is I used to have a 900 watt microwave that took longer to cook than my current 1100 watt one I have now. So a 200 watt difference did make a big difference for me. I don't know if 100 watt difference will or not.

You hover over Ricks name here @rickgburton and click Start Conversation and refer him to your thread here.

Jake

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
So going with 1100 watts over 1000 watts would be a noticeable difference?
No, not a noticeable difference.
I've been toying with a double oven,
Simple, if you do a lot of cooking and need a double oven you should get one. If you don't need a double oven you'll be better off not to get one. Control boards, relay boards UI boards for a double oven usually cost twice as much as for a single oven. Sometimes when one oven stops working you have a spare oven, sometimes not.
.Induction top, good or bad?
You'll need to do your homework on whether or not induction is better but let me say this; Most induction cooktops have two modules each with two elements. When there's an element issue you may need to replace a module. Very expensive!
any insight on convection vs. non-convection
Convection cooks food more evenly.
the traditional side controls with a handle vs. the touch controls on the bottom of the door with no handle?
Both are good and work the same. The big difference is down the road when it needs repair. The controls in the door are sometimes difficult to access and difficult to test. If you're not planning to do the repairs, either one.
Wondering which brands are the most reliable
Here's the deal; No manufacturer makes a perfect range. Every brand has had it's problems at one time or another. For every person that says this brand is the best I can can find another person that says it's the worst. On this site we have seen a lot of problem with LG and Samsung appliances. Hair just purchased GE Appliances and many parts have doubled and even quadrupled in price. Do your homework first, find the features you want then shop price.

bassett72

Premium Member
OK, thanks to you and Jake for your input....

One more question. When you say, "do your homework first". I could go CRAZY looking at crap online. Is there a reliable source/site or multiples you would recommend over many of the others???

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
It frustrates the hell out of me! Try searching products by model number.