Looking to buy Frigidaire Compact Refrigerator FFPS3133UM

FelixM

Premium Member
Looking to buy a 2 door compact fridge (separate door for the freezer) to use as a fridge (not just for beverages) in the 3.1 to 4.5 cu. ft. size range. Reliability and consistent temperature control within the proper range is most important to me. I have been seeing all kinds of conflicting info and am totally confused as to what to buy. I would truly appreciate any info or suggestions you can provide. Thank you for your help.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
There's not a lot of difference in many of these compact refrigerators. Most are made off-shore (often by the same manufacturer!) unless you're interested in a luxury $1,000+ - $2,500 model from a brand like Sub-Zero or maybe U-line.

If you're just going for a run of the mill model I'd suggest you try to stick with a known North American brand for the best chance of getting repair parts and service down the line if needed (but still no guaranty).

I have no idea of the reliability of any specific model. Check Consumers Reports for reviews.

FelixM said:
compact fridge (separate door for the freezer)

That will likely severely limit available compact refrigerator models. I don't know how much choice you're going to find in such products. Most small compact fridges just have a freezerette inside the main compartment behind a single door or are an all-refrigerator or all freezer or wine cooler design.

LINK > Compact 2-Door Refrigerators

JMO

Dan O.

Robert4

Premium Member
Most are made off-shore (often by the same manufacturer!)
A lot of them are licensed products in America these days. I saw a mini fridge that was branded as a Whirlpool, but the fine print said it was a licensed product made by a Chinese company called Galanz. So you might not be getting what you think you are getting.

The two Frigidaire models I found (FFPS4533QM0, and the one you mentioned FFPS3133UM) have non-serviceable sealed systems.

Good luck!

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Robert4 said:
licensed product made by a Chinese company called Galanz.

There are a number of Chinese manufacturers of small refrigerators, Haier, Midea and Galanz are some of the main ones.

Some models are ’throw-away' with very few parts available for them at all. If they fail under warranty the whole appliance is just exchanged. When out of warranty, you're pretty much SOL. :(

JFYI

Dan O.

FelixM

Premium Member
There's not a lot of difference in many of these compact refrigerators. Most are made off-shore (often by the same manufacturer!) unless you're interested in a luxury $1,000+ - $2,500 model from a brand like Sub-Zero or maybe U-line.

If you're just going for a run of the mill model I'd suggest you try to stick with a known North American brand for the best chance of getting repair parts and service down the line if needed (but still no guaranty).

I have no idea of the reliability of any specific model. Check Consumers Reports for reviews.

That will likely severely limit available compact refrigerator models. I don't know how much choice you're going to find in such products. Most small compact fridges just have a freezerette inside the main compartment behind a single door or are an all-refrigerator or all freezer or wine cooler design.

LINK > Compact 2-Door Refrigerators

JMO

Dan O.
Thank you so much for your help, Dan O. "Most are made off-shore (often by the same manufacturer!)". That is exactly what I have been seeing. What are some well known North American brands? I'm not too familiar with refrigerator brands. The last time Consumer Reports reviewed compact refrigerators was in 2013 so they weren't much help. I was looking for a 2 door separate freezer fridge because I was reading where the back of the top shelf of the fridge was freezing things placed there. Would it be better to just get a fridge without a freezer? Would the temp in the fridge be cold enough? I was also reading some temps in the fridge were at 50 degrees-not safe! In your opinion what would be the better option. Thanks for any suggestions you have.

FelixM

Premium Member
A lot of them are licensed products in America these days. I saw a mini fridge that was branded as a Whirlpool, but the fine print said it was a licensed product made by a Chinese company called Galanz. So you might not be getting what you think you are getting.

The two Frigidaire models I found (FFPS4533QM0, and the one you mentioned FFPS3133UM) have non-serviceable sealed systems.

Good luck!
Thank you so much Robert4 for all your help. I saw the same thing

FelixM

Premium Member
Thank you so much Robert4 for all your help. I saw the same thing
about Whirlpool being made by Galanz. Do you know if Danby is any good? I thought I saw that their parts are made in China but their located in Ohio and Canada.
I was seeing people complaining about the back of the top shelf of the fridge freezing items placed there on some fridges. Would a 2 door separate freezer fridge solve this problem? Would just a fridge keep the temp cold enough? I read some reviews saying the temp in the fridge was 50 degrees! What would you suggest? Thanks Robert4 for all your help.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Do you know if Danby is any good?

Danby is just a marketing company, they don't make anything. Their products are made by other manufactures (usually off-shore), likely the same ones used by the other brands. However, Danby's support network is not as developed as other known North American name brands. Service, information or repair parts might be harder to come by when needed down the line on Danby products.

What are some well known North American brands?

Whirlpool, Frigidaire and GE. You can see their subsidiary brand names at this link:

LINK > Appliance411: Who makes what?

But all fridge's in the size you're looking from will likely be coming from off-shore. They can't make a refrigerator that size cost effectively in North America any longer.

I have no idea what the complaint you referred to is about or what it is caused by. An all-refrigerators works fine and at expected refrigerator temperatures unless defective or broken.

Dan O.

Last edited:

FelixM

Premium Member
Thank you so much for the information and links and all your help. I really appreciate it. It is a shame that quality and everything going offshore is becoming the norm.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
It is a shame that quality and everything going offshore is becoming the norm.

Everybody wants cheap and American workers want a living wage. Like I said, if you didn't mind spending a couple of grand you can possibly buy a speciality small appliance made in the USA. Look at Sub-Zero or U-Line.

Good luck!

Dan O.