Loud boom out of washer

hobbyfarmer

Premium Member
Hi all, ran across this site last nite looking for info on our 4 yr old PAV2300AWW and figured I'd see if anybody has insight into my problem.
Last nite my wife was running 3/4 of a load thru, during the spin cycle I can tell it's lightly out of balance, almost thru the cycle and it lets out a loud boom and goes majorly out of control. Now the tub will not balanced w/ any amount of clothes or empty for that matter. It's not making any noise & still spins as it should, just not balanced. I figured it popped a suspension spring off the tub but their all there & intact. What's the unbalanced spin load compensator the manual refers to? Thanks for any input.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The white tub snubber that sits between the washer base and the outer tub assembly seems to wear out quicker than most, sounds like this is the problem your having.

When you move the tub around with no clothes, does it seem tight or loose?

Jake

hobbyfarmer

Premium Member
It seems loose to me. I read about your reference to the snubber ring in some other posts and looked for wear material from it but didn't see any but I was looking thru the back panel. I'm going to pull the top & frt off tonite to get a better look. If the snubber is wearing over a period of time of time I'd expect unbalance problems that get progressively worse w/ the wear, but in this case we had no problems until last nite. Is it possible the snubber split causing this instantaneous problem?

hobbyfarmer

Premium Member
Update: Got the top & frt panel off, lots of white nylon wear material deposited into a groove I couldn't see thru the back. Pulled the tub out, pretty easy, remove 6 springs, 2 hoses & the belt from the bottom and lift right out. After removing the driven pulley (c-clip), I caged the 200 spring w/ a couple deep c-clamps, remove screws & retaining plate and out comes the snubber. After looking @ the wear pattern on the snubber I see out of the 1" wide available surface area only 3/8" is being used on mine, bad tolerancing on some engineers part. Anyway I'll be ordering more than 1 as I can see I'll be doing this again. Thanks for the help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Good job in taking it apart and glad your on your way to fixing it!:)

Jake