• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

    ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

    Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

    From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

    Jake

FIXED Loud Humming Noies - Does Not Heat

jerkyboy

Premium Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
59
Location
Albany, NY
Model Number
FMV157GC
Brand
Frigidaire
Age
6-10 years
When I turn the microwave on it makes a loud humming noise and does not heat, almost seems like it's not getting enough power. I tested the diode and it's fine. Also tested the magnetron (looks new) per many online videos and it appears to be fine based on resistance testing but also read that the test is not definitive. Also checked the capacitor per online instructions via ohm testing and it tests fine, and also looks new. The high voltage transformer checked ok with the exception of the high voltage side, which read 120 ohms…I read it shouldn't be over 90. Finally, I disconnected the capacitor and magnetron and turned the microwave on and still get the loud humming sound. I'm thinking the issue is the high voltage transformer but also saw a video which showed a microwave making the same noise as mine and it was the magnetron. What do you think?
 
Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Joined
Aug 24, 2004
Messages
99,874
Location
McMullen Valley, Arizona
Hi jerkyboy,

Sorry, we must of missed this thread.

Glad the new Magnetron fixed it for you.:)

Here's the Magnetron for your model in case others need it too:
Magnetron 5304464072


Thanks for the update!

Jake
 
Top