• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

    ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

    Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

    From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

    Jake

Loud noise

dairycow123

Premium Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2014
Messages
2
Location
california
Model Number
721.80604500
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Age
1-5 years
last night when i was using microwave there was a loud pop and now there is a loud hum, when running. if i put the power lvl on zero and turn it on, no noise. and a few days ago i would turn it on and the timer would count down with no noise what so ever, however it started working again as normal. does this sound like a magnatron issue or something else. i havent taken anything apart yet.
 

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Oct 10, 2004
Messages
23,704
Location
Ontario, Canada
Hi,

A copy:

Q - The microwave makes a loud "hum or buzz" noise but will not heat up the food?

A - 9 times out of 10 this is usually this is a bad magnetron, the other time is sometimes a bad high voltage diode. See components section.

If needed:

Magnetron-6324W1A001H-01359853.jpg LINK> Magnetron

Diode-6851W1A002E--01638081.jpg LINK> Diode

jeff.
 

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Oct 10, 2004
Messages
23,704
Location
Ontario, Canada
1) They can "test" or ohm ok and still be bad!
2) Maybe high voltage transformer....but we probably replace 1 transformer to 100 mags and diods.

jeff.
 
Top