• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake

Loud noise

dairycow123

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
last night when i was using microwave there was a loud pop and now there is a loud hum, when running. if i put the power lvl on zero and turn it on, no noise. and a few days ago i would turn it on and the timer would count down with no noise what so ever, however it started working again as normal. does this sound like a magnatron issue or something else. i havent taken anything apart yet.

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

A copy:

Q - The microwave makes a loud "hum or buzz" noise but will not heat up the food?

A - 9 times out of 10 this is usually this is a bad magnetron, the other time is sometimes a bad high voltage diode. See components section.

If needed:

Magnetron-6324W1A001H-01359853.jpg LINK> Magnetron

Diode-6851W1A002E--01638081.jpg LINK> Diode

jeff.

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
1) They can "test" or ohm ok and still be bad!
2) Maybe high voltage transformer....but we probably replace 1 transformer to 100 mags and diods.

jeff.