Loud Pop then smoke..Pictures included

btwint

Premium Member
Kenmore Model# 790.9641340E, My wife turned on the oven and heard a loud pop and when I came to look it had started to smoke. The oven is only 8 months old so it is under warranty but I am curious to know the problem. The oven has a hidden bottom element and I removed the cover and found what appears to be the problem. It looks as the element has had a little blow out, not sure how else to describe it but I have also attached a picture. If this indeed the problem would it also cause the top element to stop working also? I have called the repair place and have an appointment friday but I am thinking of calling them to make sure they bring this part to prevent any delay. Should I do this or will they not cover it under warranty b/c I opened the cover? Any ideas what could have caused this? Thanks for your help,

Chris

View attachment 1200View attachment 1201

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Chris,

Yes, I've seen that happen before many times, but its unusual for that to blow out under a year old, just likely a defective part, nothing you did caused it.

Do you use the oven a lot, like daily? or many times a day?

Yes, it will be covered under your 1 yr. parts & labor warranty from Sears.

Here's the bake element for this model:
Manufacturer part#316413800 is RepairClinic item#1056177

Jake

btwint

Premium Member
yes we use it daily. should i be worried that this will happen again and if i still can should i get an extended warranty on it? Also since this is the bottom element that went bad does it make since that the top on isnt working either? Could this be the reason my wife has always complained about the oven taken forever to heat or is that a common problem with the models that have a hidden element? Thanks again for your help. Oh and should I call to make sure the tech brings this with them when they come?

Chris

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, most people don't use the oven daily, especially in the hot summer months, but since you do, I'd recommend getting the extended warranty for at least 5 yrs. on it.

Don't know if thats why your wife says its been taking forever to heat or not.

This really isn't a common problem with or without the hidden bake element that I've run into before myself.

Yes, you can call 1-800-4MYHOME and ask for customer relations and see if the tech. can bring out that element so you won't have to wait another week for them to order it. Usually customer relations can overnight or 2nd Day air it to your house before the tech. arrives.

Give them this part#:
Manufacturer part#316413800

Jake