• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

LRDN22734SB LG Refrigerator - warm freezer and refrigerator - frost pattern not good

Status
Not open for further replies.

lorac

Premium Member
Model Number
LRDN22734SB
Brand
LG
Bought in 2005. Major fix in 2009. No problems until now.

Thank you very much for the answer!

My husband took it apart.

The refrigerator is running warm. The refrigerator area is 43f and the freezer 32f. I cleaned the coil and defrosted it but no luck. The compressor sounds like it is running ok but it also stops before it reaches the right temperature.

My husband said the frost pattern shows that only the top part is cooling. See pic.

Is it the compressor, a leak, or maybe just need to change the refrigerant?

What is the cost range for this kind of repairs?

Attachments

• IMG_20201114_163003.jpg
    IMG_20201114_163003.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Is it the compressor, a leak, or maybe just need to change the refrigerant?
We group those into a "sealed system problem with the machine" It could be an inefficient compressor, refrigeration leak, or a system restriction. Sealed system repairs are expensive and will often exceed the machines value. Other problems are just around the corner. For instance, finding a qualified and experienced refrigeration tech that's willing to do the job. Because it's an LG machine you won't find a lot of takers. LG uses a new style linear compressors and and these compressors are failing at an incredible rate.

What do you think about these kind of kits:
Fine if you're charging your automotive AC. For domestic refrigerators it's a waste of money. Even though refrigerators and automotive AC both work on the same principal, they are two different animals. The only way to determine the exact problem with the sealed system is by connecting a set of refrigeration gauges to the high side and the low side on the machine. A good refrigeration tech might be able to get away with only connecting the low side gauge because by feeling the lines he can get an idea what the problem is. Refrigerant never wears out so it doesn't need to be changed. Those style access valves are known as bullit valves and they are guaranteed to leak before the first year is up. Anyone that has ever recharged their automotive AC automatically thinks they can fix their refrigerator by adding refrigerant. Remember I said it could be the compressor, refrigerant leak, or system restriction? All three are expensive repairs but for argument sake let's take the least of the three evils, refrigerant leak. First, you need to find the leak and repair it before you add any refrigerant or it's just going to leak out again and if you don't remove the access valve when you're done, you now have two leaks. Automotive AC can handle an over charge. Domestic refrigerators can not. You need to be certified by the EPA to work on sealed systems. However in the past 30 years I've never seen any refrigeration police...lol. Every refrigerator manufacture states that whenever a sealed system is open the drier needs to be replaced. Now you're talking recovery tank, vacuum pump, brazing equipment and by the way you need to have some brazing skills, charging cylinder, and you better know how the system works. If you're dead set on getting the access kit and giving it a go, good luck. Keep this in mind before you do, A refrigeration tech has all the equipment and tools, skills, and knowledge how the system works and he doesn't want to do the repair because there's too many problems he can run into especially on LG and Samsung machines.

lorac

Premium Member
Thank you for the detailed answer! Our LG has been pretty good for 15yr. We had to clean defrost it every 6-12 months and clean the fan in the back but beside that it was working great.

Why some technicians do not work on Samsung and LG? If they broke more, they should be a good source of work for them.

Last edited:

lorac

Premium Member
Now I can spend $60-100 to get a diagnosis and having the option to stop my losses here or repairing for how much in the best case? An extra $140? But it can be $800 if the compressor is failing?

lorac

Premium Member
I looked at used ones on Facebook and Nextdoor. There was a very interesting GE french doors for $900. They said 3yr old but manufactured in Jan 2017 (4yr). I asked for the receipts for the warranty. I thought my LG had 7yrs. The owner said they bought it at best buy but they could not find the receipt. Looking up on the GE site I found they only have 1yr warranty! And apparently 1yr is the standard. Even a very nice one at $250 seems risky if out of warranty.

What is the situation with warranties among different brands and models at the moment for new ones?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
You don't need a receipt for warranty. Manufactures can get get all the information from the model and serial number. Before 2000 almost all refrigerators had a 5 year warranty on the sealed system. That changed and now the only machines that have a 5 year warranty on the sealed system are the high end machines that cost $3000 or more.
Why some technicians do not work on Samsung and LG?
Because they use inferior parts that are prone to fail. Here's the reason I won't work on them; Let's say I came to your home and replaced the compressor and charge you $800. When I leave, the refrigerator is working properly. Then, 33 days later the compressor craps out again. How happy are you going to be when I tell you it's going to cost you another $800 to replace it because LG and Samsung only have a 30 day warranty on replacement parts? I already know the answer. If LG or Samsung didn't replace the compressor they don't want to hear about it. You won't get any satisfaction from them so that just leaves me. You're going to start calling me all the time and threaten legal action if I don't fix it. You're going to be mad, I'm going to be sad and the only person that comes out ahead is LG or Samsung because they still have the money from the compressor sale.
Now I can spend $60-100 to get a diagnosis
Most repair companies, myself included, use a flat rate price for sealed system repairs. Mine is $700. Doesn't matter if it's a leak, system restriction or bad compressor, it's $700. My standard service call and diagnostic fee is $75 to come out and diagnose the exact problem but that cost is absorbed into the $700 so it would still be $700 and not $775. That is of course unless you don't want it fixed. In that case I would charge you $75. If you're not willing to go the $700 for the repair, then you're just throwing away $75 to have me tell you what the exact problem is.

Status
Not open for further replies.