• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED LRE30453ST/01 LG Oven Heating Element/Control Board Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

eengrms

Premium Member
Model Number
LRE30453ST/01
Brand
LG
So here is my story... My LG Range Model LRE30453ST /01 was manufactured in June 2009, and purchased late fall 2009. I've haven't really had too many issues with it until recently. A few months ago we had a weird thing happen where at the end of the preheat cycle the broil element didn't shut off and burned food. This went on for a week or so and then just stopped happening. Now the issue is that the hidden bake element is not heating up. During a preheat the broil element engages but shuts off around 270 degrees like normal and it stays there. I've done about every test in the book and believe it's one of the control panels - just not sure which one and the ones available online don't match my actual equipment even though they say they should. I should note the convection feature works, but has the same heating issues as it uses the same elements. It can get to a preheat level with convection but can't hold it. All of the burners work fine, and all of the controls work fine.

Here is the testing I've already done. I used a multi-meter and tested the bake element and it passed at roughly 16 ohms. I even removed the bake element and physically inspected it, but it still looks like brand new. I used the multi-meter to check other items as follows: I measured 240V across the broil element terminals, and 120V to ground for each side. It read as 0 V across the bake element terminals, but still tested 120V to ground at each side independently. So my first inclination was that since it was reading 0V there wasn't continuity, even though it passed the earlier test. I did some quick temporary re-wiring and powered the bake element though the broil element wiring/relays - it worked. The bake element by itself (broil element was not powered) was able to get the oven up to the 270 degrees until it appropriately shut off (since it was technically the broil circuit). This tells me both elements are fine and it's one or more of the control boards causing the problem. I also tested the thermostat (over sensor). It actually failed the resistance test so I replaced it, but that hasn't fixed anything else, so maybe it wasn't bad. Oh well it was cheap.

The relay control board:
Relay Board 6871W1N012B

that has the broil relays on it seems to be working, but it does directly power the bake element so could this be bad? Does this board ever go bad?

I could not find any actual relays that controlled the bake element anywhere in the oven on any of the boards. The main control board that has the clock circuitry and numbers attached is stated to be the main oven control board - but the one in my oven doesn't have any relays on it. The presumed OEM part number per searching on numerous sites is EBR74632605. Looking at this board it clearly shows two relays on the bottom left side that are not present on my board. Some of the other miscellaneous terminal connections also do not exist, making it pretty obvious it's not the correct board.

Here is a picture of my actual control board in my oven:

IMG_439788024.jpg

I'm at a standstill right now without a working oven. I haven't called for service yet as there is only one shop in our area that services LG and they want $150 just to pull in the driveway. By the time I'm done with them I might as well just buy a new oven. I would love to see if any of you can give me some insight on what you might think is the problem, and why my control board is so much different than the ones all the repair sits say are for my model. Thanks for any help in advance!

Matt

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Matt,

The relay control board has both the bake and broil relays on it.

Here's the parts diagram of the lower control board, its #5070.
(click to enlarge)
F0903017-00005.jpg

Here's the relay control board for your model:
6871W1N012B

Jake

eengrms

Premium Member
I ordered the relay control board, just installed it, and everything works perfectly. What a relief. I'm still confused why the main control board for sale doesn't match mine, but I just hope I never have to replace it. Thanks for your help Jake!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I ordered the relay control board, just installed it, and everything works perfectly. What a relief.
Excellent, good job.:)

I'm still confused why the main control board for sale doesn't match mine.
That's a good question, I don't know either.

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.