• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

LRE3083ST LG Oven will not preheat over 350 degrees.

jimploggersr

Premium Member
Model Number
LRE3083ST
Brand
LG
My LG electric range oven sticks on 350 preheat. If I set the oven to bake at say 425 degrees, it will start preheating and then stick at 350. I have checked the oven heating sensor with a multi-meter and the ohm reading is 1084 which is in the "good" range. I am now suspecting a faulty control board. I would love to get some input on this before I spend $300 on a new board.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Resistance at temeprature?

I have checked the oven heating sensor with a multi-meter and the ohm reading is 1084 which is in the "good" range.
I assume you tested it when it was cold? What was the sensor's resistance when the temperature stalls and how does that reading measure up to what it should be at that temperature?

Are both bake and broil oven elements functioning? On most electric ranges both bake and broil elements come on for preheat to get the oven up to temperature quickly. Once a set temperature is reached (not always the full set temperature BTW) the broil cuts out and primarily the bake is cycled on and off to maintain oven temperature. Maybe only the broil is working at the start and the bake never comes on to finish the job?

If the sensor is reading and relating the proper temperature to the control and the bake element is functioning normally, than the control itself might be suspect. :nightmare:

LINK > LG LRE3083ST Electronic Control

Dan O.

jimploggersr

Premium Member
I have only tested the senor when it was at room temperature. The broiler element is working. Since the LG does not have an exposed bake element I will need to remove the back and test the continuity on it. Just trying a test at 200 preheat the upper element was very hot but I could place my hand on the bottom of the oven.

I will test that tomorrow. Thanks Dan.

jimploggersr

Premium Member
UPDATE: This is interesting. First I checked to make sure the top burners were getting red. They are. Then I removed the back and checked the voltage coming to the range. Getting 120, 120, 240. Put the meter on the bake element ends with bake ON and cannot get a reading.... 000 on the meter set for AC. Unplugged from wall, removed the bank elements ends and checked continuity....OK. I am assuming that this is telling me that the control board is not telling the bake element that it is on.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Bad control?

I removed the leads from the bake element and checked for continuity. It was OK.
Good.

If the bake element is not working but not burnt out creating an open circuit, the control might not be sending power to it.

LINK > LG LRE3083ST Electronic Control (Out of stock but cheaper)

LINK > LG LRE3083ST Electronic Control (In stock but more expensive)

You could also check the range's wiring diagram for any signs of an overheat protector in the electrical circuit to the bake element that might have tripped. And also check the wiring between the control and element for breakages or loose connections. If all those are negative, the control would be suspect IMO.

Dan O.

Last edited: