• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

LRSC26912SW LG refrigerator water line leak at base of freezer door

JonIND

Premium Member
Model Number
LRSC26912SW
Brand
LG
I have an LG LRSC26912SW side-by-side refrigerator that has developed a small crack in the water line coming out of the bottom of the left freezer door that feeds the water dispenser, causing it to leak all over the floor when the water dispenser is used. From looking at other forums, it seems that the water line inside the freezer door is not replaceable because everything is foamed/glued in, and the only official solution is to replace the entire freezer door, which appears to be no longer available as a part for this model.

I found a MacGyver-like solution on YouTube:

That solution involves inserting a short segment of 3/16" OD tubing (fuel line) inside the 3/16" ID / 5/16" OD water line, but I'm wary of that approach given that the 3/16" OD tubing that I can find is sold for use only in non-potable applications. Some comments on that video suggest that people have also fixed this by using a 3/16" x 3/16" barbed splicer adapter, but in my case, there's wouldn't be enough room to install a hose clamp on the side of the existing tubing, as the crack is less than 1/4" below the bottom of the freezer door.

Thoughts on how best to fix this, short of buying a new fridge? Will a barbed coupler hold without a hose clamp, and thoughts on whether vinyl vs. brass would be better? Other ideas on how to fix? Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Will a barbed coupler hold without a hose clamp, and thoughts on whether vinyl vs. brass would be better?
I'm not sure about a barbed coupler and as far as brass or vinyl, either one. I would probably try a small piece of copper tube and a 100% silicone to seal it. If it doesn't work it will only leak when the dispenser is calling for water so keep an eye on it the first few times you use the dispenser.

JonIND

Premium Member
Thanks for replying! To clarify, are you suggesting using a smaller diameter piece of copper tubing to join two sections of plastic tubing together, similar to the way in which the the poster of the YouTube video above used 3/16” OD PVC fuel line?