• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED LSC5622W LG Range How do I check/replace the Hidden BAKE ELEMENT?

TorontoMike

Premium Member
Model Number
LSC5622W
Brand
LG
For about two months now, my LG range (LSC5622W) will not heat higher than 275 degrees when set to BAKE. Even if you set it at 550, it'll take forever to heat up and even then it won't get past 300 easily. Only running it on Convection Bake seems to get it warm enough to cook, but it seems to take about 20 minutes to get up to 350 degrees.

My wife was baking one day and heard a pop, and we've had problems since then. So, my feeling was that the Hidden Bake Element got damaged. I believe the Broil element is used to aide preheating, if I'm not mistaken, so I wonder if that is the only thing doing the work. Or at least doing most of the work.

I thought I'd check (and replace if necessary) the bake element. The only problem is... it's a "hidden" (in wall) bake element on this stove and I can't figure out what I'm supposed to do to access it.

Here is the stove: Stove Front

Here is the inside: Stove Inside

Here is the back: Stove Rear Panel

Now, it at least seems to me that the yellow and black wires at the bottom centre of the back, attach to the bake element. Only problem is... even by disconnecting those, I still don't know how to get access to the element.

I removed the Warming Pan and the front door, but I don't see access from there. Wasn't sure removing any/all the screws in the back would gain me access. Figured my best bet was to ask the community and find out if anyone can point me in the right direction.

If anyone knows.... I would be greatly indebted. I don't want to call a service appointment if I can get at, check, and replace the element myself.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi Mike, You're going to love this....LOL

First pull the range out and unplug it. Remove the back panel. Remove the two wires from the bake element and move them out of the way. Remove the three screws from the power cord terminal block box (two above the terminal block and the ground screw) and move the box out of the way. Then use a pair of wire cutters and snip the nine flange points holding the heater cover. I marked five of them for you in your picture. Remove the heater cover and fold the insulation up out of the way. Remove the two bracket screws and bend the two flanges up. Carefully pull the element and it's bracket out of the range. When you reverse the steps to install the element, turn the heater cover around and the two tabs on top should line up with the two screw holes on the range.
LSC5622 Hidden Bake.jpg

TorontoMike

Premium Member
Thank you Rick!

First things first... THANK YOU so much Rick.

Secondly, I wish the attached flange points were the worst thing I could say about LG appliances, but it's far from it. LOL. Never again. Oh well...

When I was looking at it, I had the feeling that this was the way in, but became skeptical because the flange points were attached.
I even had it all ripped down to that point and was lightly prying at that heater cover to examine what the deal was.

Two more quick questions...

Do you happen to know if the heater element is a typical size/shape/style that I can buy at any hardware/appliance store?
If it's gone, would it be physically broken, or with some heavy burnout type marking on some point of the element, or could it be burnt out/damaged and not even show it in any particular manner of appearance?

Thanks again.

Last edited:

rickgburton

Staff member
the worst thing I could say about LG appliances,
Here's what I like about LG and Samsung....

Do you happen to know if the heater element is a typical size/shape/style that I can buy at any hardware/appliance store?
I don't and knowing LG probably not. Most elements are different from brand to brand and model to model. You should always replace them with the one for your model.

If it's gone, would it be physically broken, or with some heavy burnout type marking on some point of the element, or could it be burnt out/damaged and not even show
To check the element and see if it's good, just remove one of the wires and check it for continuity with an ohmmeter. No point taking it out if you don't have to. But to answer your question, yes, all three. If it checks good for continuity set the oven to bake and measure the voltage between the two bake element wires. You should have 220 VAC. I have a feeling you don't have a VOM (Volt Ohm Meter) and replacing parts hoping one will fix it can get very expensive very fast. Here's a good one for $20 and probably one of the best twenty dollar investments you ever made. They come in handy for a lot more than just appliance repair. You can get them at any of the home centers for as little as $10-$15.

Digital Multimeter DM10T Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com
Digital-Multimeter-DM10T-01128790.jpg

Bake Element MEE36593202 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com
Bake-Element-MEE36593202--01166641.jpg

[video=youtube;X8w1w45TrnU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=X8w1w45TrnU[/video]

TorontoMike

Premium Member
Well, this is definitely looking like the culprit.
Multimeter didn't register anything when I touched both connections.

Hopefully going to find a replacement locally.
Would love to send a small donation as a thank you, if there's a link.
Thanks.

rickgburton

Staff member
Yep, that's a bad one. I don't know about Toronto but LG and Samsung parts are hard to locate locally in my area. Most appliance parts houses don't carry them. RepairClinic ships to Canada and they're good at getting the part out. If you ordered it now, you'll probably have it by tomorrow or the next day. Plus they're one of the few places that have a 365 day warranty on the part. Whatever you decide, good luck! Nice job on the repair by the way!

TorontoMike

Premium Member
Man, what a company LG is....

...they won't sell you the part without a service call.
...the service call people aren't allowed to sell the part themselves
...there's a website/company called LG Parts Canada... they don't have/can't sell it.
...Amazon has it listed but not in stock

Anyway... ordered it from RepairClinic Looking forward to it's arrival.

Thanks again for all your help Rick, and have a great weekend.

Mike

rickgburton

Staff member
Anytime Mike! Let me know when you get the element from RepairClinic. I know down here in the lower 48 most of those who order a part early in the day, usually have it the next day so I'm curious about Canada. Keep us posted.

TorontoMike

Premium Member
Uh-oh...:confused:

So... the replacement went fine, or so I thought.
It seems/seemed to me that the stove was pre-heating faster than prior to installing the new element, however, it does not appear to be REACHING that temperature. In other words, if I set the oven to 350 degrees, it preheats to about 335 in 15 minutes, and then just stays at that temperature.

I am thinking of grabbing an oven thermometer that I can stick in there to check the accuracy of the reading.

Any thoughts as to what this could be?

Thanks,
Mike

rickgburton

Staff member
OK Mike, If you have an accurate thermometer like your meter (some have a setting under mili-amps) find out how far off the temperature is. Then first measure the resistance of the oven sensor. It should read around 1100 ohms at room temperature. LG should be the same as other brands but I'll check to make sure. If the oven sensor checks good, there is a -35*F to 35*F adjustment for the thermostat. Be sure to check the oven sensor first. Use the temperature adjustment as a last resort. Make sure you use a semi-accurate thermometer for the correct oven temperature.

To Increase the temperature:
Press the Options pad twice
Press the desired temperature
Press the Start pad

To Decrease the temperature:
Press the Options pad twice
Press the desired temperature
Press the Options pad once
Press the Start pad

Oven Sensor 6322B62214A Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com
Oven-Sensor-6322B62214A--01057889.jpg

[video=youtube;vWJOLFW2aw0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vWJOLFW2aw0[/video]

mtl4

Premium Member
Anytime Mike! Let me know when you get the element from RepairClinic. I know down here in the lower 48 most of those who order a part early in the day, usually have it the next day so I'm curious about Canada. Keep us posted.

I had my parts shipped up here using FedEx Express (worth the extra cost when a major appliance is down IMHO) and got them in about 3 days (which is very good considering they have to go through customs too). You also have to watch the UPS/FedEx brokerage fees when using the slower shipping (they will typically don't charge them on the faster shipping options). Overall very pleased with RepairClinic though.

Last edited:

ACVictoria

Premium Member
Thanks Mike and Rick for doing all the legwork on my LG oven bake element
Repair. hUGE thanks for the detailed instructions.

Sadly I still have no element coming in despite new element install just repetitive loud clicks every few minute and no power across new element on voltmeter. Upper element registers 240v
Oven won't get above 300 degrees

Is there a circuit breaker/solenoid something that could be fried in the original element flame out ??

Thanks for your thoughts, may have to call in the professionals like my wife wants but I refuse to give in to LG!!!
Aaron

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Aaron,

The problem child on these LG ranges that the bake element won't come on, or won't turn off, has mainly been a faulty relay board.

Here's the oven relay board(which includes the bake relay circuit) you can order:
Relay Board 6871W1N012A

Jake

ACVictoria

Premium Member
Thanks Jake,
is this a simple plug and play replacement with the relay board? I can't easily recheck as I had to reassemble the oven after replacing the element so we could use the stove this week:)
I figured it was something in the relays, but your suggestions confirm it.
Aaron

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, plug and play.

Just make sure you turn the breaker off to the range before accessing and replacing it.

Jake

ACVictoria

Premium Member
Ok so managed to get a friend from USA to smuggle a relay board into Canada for me (damn LG Canada ).

Now when preheating I get 10 seconds of 240v across lower bake element then I kicks off for a minute then keeps cycling.
Managed to get up to 450 deg after about 15 minutes. Is this an element issue now ? Seems like bake element should come in for longer to get up to temp fast. But I never paid attention before on how long it took to get to temp.
Thoughts. ?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Managed to get up to 450 deg after about 15 minutes.
That's perfect.

Normal is 15 to 20 minutes to preheat on all ovens.:)

Jake