• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

LSG4513ST LG gas range gas smell after oven is lit

disconnected

Premium Member
Model Number
LSG4513ST
Brand
LG
The oven in my LG convection gas range (model LSG4513ST) quit working. I called a tech out to troubleshoot. He indicated a faulty ignitor and replaced it. (not with a factory part, but he said it would work just fine.) Now when I ask for heat from the oven, the ignitor lights up, the gas gets ignited, there is no whooshing sound and it fires up fairly quickly, but there is a smell of gas afterwards.

I don't seem to notice any gas smell when the broiler is lit, just the oven. All the range burners work as expected and no gas smell there either. BTW, this is model has a circular oven burner mounted surrounding the convection fan in the back oven wall and not in the bottom.. Appreciate any thoughts/guidance.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
On most conventional ovens an igniter needs to draw 3.2 to 3.6 amps to open the safety valve. What igniter did he use? This is the correct igniter:

disconnected

Premium Member
Thanks for your response, Rick. I believe the repair tech told me the one he installed was for a Maytag range, but who knows... The ignitor the tech installed looks just like the one in your pic. FYI, the metal housing for the ovens original ignitor is different, so the technician used the original housing. I've attached a pic of what the original looks like. As I mentioned in my last message, the oven does fire up, we're just getting more gas smell than before, but only from the oven and not the broiler or cooktop burners. Would you still recommend replacing the ignitor or would this lead you to to look somewhere else? Also, as the rest of the unit functions okay, would that rule out a faulty gas safety valve?

Attachments

• lg-lsg4513st-ignitor-genuine-oem.jpg
    lg-lsg4513st-ignitor-genuine-oem.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 36

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
This is one of those things I don't think I can diagnose online. I can explain how it works but that's about it. Did you call and explain to the other tech that replaced the igniter about the gas smell?

disconnected

Premium Member
No, I haven't contacted the other tech yet. I thought I'd try to get a little more info/insight before spending more money. Just so I understand correctly, is there any reason that the Maytag ignitor wouldn't work for this application? Thanks again for your thoughts here.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Look at it this way, the tech SHOULD have installed the OEM ignitor for your model, even if he has to order it and come back, putting a NON-OEM causes all kinds of issues.

The one Rick posted above is your OEM ignitor.

Jake