FIXED LSN2000PW1 Whirlpool Washer motor is overheating mid cycle

Sapo

Premium Member
Model Number
LSN2000PW1
Brand
Whirlpool
The LSN2000PW1 washing machine stops mid cycle and does not restart. Instead it makes an electric sounding grinding noise every five minutes and the agitator tries to move back and forth. This noise and motion last about 20 seconds and then the washer sits stagnant until it happens again 5 minutes later. It is not the lid switch.

This problem does not happen with every load. It can go quite a few loads without a problem and then it will have a problem a few loads in a row. It is always at the same approximate place during the cycle (cool down).

I replaced the clutch and gear case. Still not working correctly. I suspect the motor or timer. Since the problem is intermittent I'm thinking either a switch is going bad or a bad part of the windings.

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=It_bw6_emV4&feature=youtu.be[/video]

The youtube link is to a video of the washing machine while making the noise.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Either the centrifugal mechanism in the motor is not working or the motor switch is bad. The start winding in the motor is only meant to have power applied for the 1-2 seconds it takes to start the motor and then it is switched out of circuit by the centrifugal mechanism activating the motor switch. If it doesn't disconnect the start winding, it will burn up the capacitor and can damage the winding. You can test the switch and see if it's bad.

If the washer works ok on slow speed, then the centrifugal mechanism in the motor is working. Check continuity between the two outermost terminals of the switch. With the switch in place, it should read as a dead short. Pulling the switch away from the motor releases the switch lever arm and now the reading should be an open circuit.

WhirlpoolMotorSwitch.jpg

Here's the motor switch for your model:
WP8529896 Motor Start Switch

Here's the motor for your model:
WP8529935 Motor-Drve

This video shows how to remove your washer cabinet to access your motor switch and motor:

[video=youtube;Puq8jWMY9Iw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Puq8jWMY9Iw[/video]

Keep us posted.

Jake

Sapo

Premium Member
A couple of weeks ago I replaced the timer. The original problem has not returned.

Thank you for your help with the troubleshooting it helped me narrow down the problem.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member