LSQ8520JQ1 Washing machine fills and spins, but does not agitate

lukpac

Premium Member
Model
LSQ8520JQ1
Brand
Whirlpool
To start from the top, a friend of mine told me her washing machine wasn't working, and that after the last time she ran it she noticed a burning smell. I took a look, and it filled, but agitate and spin just resulted in buzzing. After some searching, we ordered a new motor. Alas, same problem. After a lot more searching, I checked the start capacitor, which turned out to be dead (no movement from infinite resistance on an analog multimeter). So we ordered a new capacitor, which came today.

The good news is spin now works like a charm. The motor starts right up without any noise or problem. However, agitate still doesn't work. There's no movement or noise from the motor, and no buzzing, but the timer clicks. Actually, it almost sounds like a car trying to start. Here's a video trying to engage an agitate cycle, with me activating (and deactivating) the lid switch:

[video=youtube;GNDhOZ0ytEc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNDhOZ0ytEc[/video]

The noise is definitely coming from the timer, not the motor. And the behavior is the same regardless of what wash type is selected.

I've tried to make sure the harnesses for both the timer and motor are seated securely a few times. Is there any way to test to make sure the proper power is getting to the motor? If it's the timer, are those pretty much black boxes, or is there a way to open them up and check and/or clean them? Unfortunately I don't think this washer is worth spending another $150 on if it requires a new timer.

If it helps at all, for the heck of it I tried hooking up the old motor (not installed in the washer), and the behavior is exactly the same: spin works just fine, but agitate results in nothing from the motor and the noise heard in the video.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

I asked our other tech bigbuck if he can post the wiring diagram.

It sounds like a bad timer, that's basically all it could be now anyways, because you've replaced the motor and capacitor. Unless you have a broken wire from the timer to the motor.

Here's the timer for your model:
WP3953553 Timer

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sorry, I forgot he told me he didn't have it.

I'd order and replace the timer, that's got to be the problem. If not, then you can return the timer for a full refund, less shipping.

Or buy a new washer.

Jake