• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

LSR8233EQ0 Whirlpool top load washer will fill but nothing else.

lgcjairen

Model Number
LSR8233EQ0
Brand
Whirlpool
Hey guys,
Probably like many here I have lurked for years and to help repair appliances with great success. This time however i can't seem to find info that lines up with where I am at with my unit.

So the washing machine is like 20 years old, main reason i didn't want to just replace it is the hassle of getting it out of a rather cramped basement that is still being cleaned out.

Anyway, been using the washer for years (this is my parents house they left to me after they passed), went to set a load a few days ago and it started fine, came back the next morning to swap loads and the washer had clean water in it and the timer stopped at rinse. thankfully it was a small load of like 2 shirts and a pair of pants (gf work clothes). checked and breaker was fine and lid switch was depressed.

Moved the timer around and nothing, acting like no power to the unit, would not agitate, spin, or pump water out, no noises or hums just literally dead. for giggles i set the load to a larger size and turned the timer to somewhere that water would fill and that worked.
so far i have jumped the lid switch and replaced the timer, most posts i've found talk about at least some kind of noises going on to diagnose but i have silence. unit is pretty basic there are no main logic boards or anything that i can see from the schematics. looks like there is just a capacitor and another electric motor switch that would get me here, though i feel like i'd get a hum if the cap was bad and i would at least drain if the motor switch was bad.

and that is where i'm stuck, any help would be appreciated before I just give up and figure out how to get a craigslist special in there.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi, another member had the same exact problem and it was the motor that was the culprit:
His Kenmore 110 and your Whirlpool use the exact same parts, as his Kenmore 110 is made by Whirlpool.
So you can follow what I mentioned for him to do in that thread, here's what I mentioned below:

Either the motor capacitor, centrifugal mechanism in the motor is not working, or the motor switch is bad. The start winding in the motor is only meant to have power applied for the 1-2 seconds it takes to start the motor and then it is switched out of circuit by the centrifugal mechanism activating the motor switch. If it doesn't disconnect the start winding, it will burn up the capacitor and can damage the winding. You can test the switch and see if it's bad.

If the washer works ok on slow speed, then the centrifugal mechanism in the motor is working. Check continuity between the two outermost terminals of the switch. With the switch in place, it should read as a dead short. Pulling the switch away from the motor releases the switch lever arm and now the reading should be an open circuit.

If the washer works ok on slow speed, then the centrifugal mechanism in the motor is working.

--->Check continuity between the two outermost terminals of the switch. With the switch in place, it should read as a dead short(Continuity) Pulling the switch away from the motor releases the switch lever arm and now the reading should be an open circuit(NO CONTINUITY).

attachment.php

Here's the motor switch for your model:
WP8529896 Motor Start Switch

Here's the motor for your model:
WP661600 Direct Drive Washer Motor

Here's the motor capacitor for your model:
WP8572717 Capacitor

For others following along: This video shows how to remove your washer cabinet to access your motor switch, motor, and capacitor:

Keep us posted.

Jake