LSR8233EQ0 Whirlpool washer - Stops after fill, sometimes spins

stw

Premium Member
Model
LSR8233EQ0
Brand
Whirlpool
We have an approximately 20 year old Whirlpool LSR8233EQ0 washer. Over the last few years, I've replaced the pump, agitator cams/cog, and probably something else I am forgetting.

Right now, when we start a load, it will fill with water as normal. Then it stops - no agitation or spinning. At first I thought it was totally quiet. Then I could barely hear a faint cyclical buzz sound. I tried to move the switch to other modes, like spin or rinse, but that did nothing. My wife said she was able to get it to spin by moving the switch to the various 'spin' locations. So I tried a few more times and finally got it to spin and drain.

What is the most likely cause of this? As long as the repair is reasonably easy, I will do it. Thank you!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

My wife said she was able to get it to spin by moving the switch to the various 'spin' locations. So I tried a few more times and finally got it to spin and drain.
That would be your timer going bad. You'd need to replace the timer.

Here's the timer for your model you can order:
WP3949339 Timer

Do you need a video to show you? I located a video here: Timer Replacement Video

The only difference would be yours does not have the end caps that have to remove to get to the two control panel screws. Your two control panel screws should be visible.:)

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

stw

Premium Member
Thanks, Jake! All of the repairs I've made to the washer and dryer over the years have been relatively inexpensive (under $30 each, usually). I'm trying to decide if I should replace this part for about $140, which is about 1/4 the cost of an entire new washer...or just bite the bullet and buy new. Any advice on this? Do you see washers of this era last for significantly longer than 20 years? Thanks again - your site rocks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Some will go more than 20 years if you don't use it that often, but if your using it more than 3 times a week then its best to get a new washer as other parts are naturally wearing out.

I suggest Whirlpool, Maytag, Speed Queen.

Jake

stw

Premium Member
Thanks, Jake. We ended up getting a new set of Maytags. The washer is a top-loader with an agitator. I am glad we ended up getting new ones, as they work much better than the 20+ year old ones we had. I was surprised that it's not possible to buy a washer or dryer without some form of computer in it. Ugh. I was interested in getting a new SpeedQueen set, but just could not justify the price...that said, it these Maytags don't last a long time, I may well end up getting Speed Queen yet. Thanks again for your help!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good.:)

Yes, the Maytag models are very good.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake