• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED LSXS26366D LG defrost cycle

hillbilly911

Premium Member
Model Number
LSXS26366D
Brand
LG
Application solar off grid. LG LSXS26366D 4 Mon old. I need to understand how the defrost cycle works on this model to be able to switch the defrost sensor or the defrost heating element to disable the defrost cycle at night because of the amp draw of the heating element in my solar application. Is anyone familiar with this model that can direct me.
Thank you

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
The refrigerator uses adaptive defrost. What that means is the control uses information from the thermistors and keeps track of things like number of door openings, compressor run time, length of time the heater was on during the last defrost cycle, etc, etc. It uses that information to know when to start a defrost cycle. The first defrost cycle after power on is after 8 hours has passed. After that it can be anywhere between 9 and 99 hours between defrost cycles. If you disable the defrost system the control will start logging (and probably displaying) error codes. I don't have any specific service information on that model because it's too new so I don't know how it will affect the cooling. The evaporator fan motor is positioned above the evaporator and pulls the air in at the bottom of the evaporator, across the evaporator coils and then into the freezer and fresh food compartment. As the frost builds on the evaporator it starts to restrict the airflow and you get poor cooling.

hillbilly911

Premium Member
So because of the quantitative reasoning for defrost initiation I should interrupt defrost heater element instead of sensor interruption?? The board is on the top of the refrigerator so it would simple to put a switch and later a timer at the terminal plug connection for defrost heater element at the board? The service manual says it doesn't code for four hours after problem noted. My plan is to interrupt defrost heater couple hours after darkness and reconnect at daylight. Would seem that there would be minimal frost on the evaporator during that period because of the doors being closed while sleeping. Why do this??? I really like the unit because of the size and door. It is really not to bad on the w.h. except for defrost cycle. Do you see any potential problems here other than frost?????

rickgburton

Staff member
Anytime you modify something there's always the potential for a problem. If you need to modify your refrigerator for your solar application, doesn't that defeat its purpose? The first problem I see is once you modify the defrost system, you can kiss your warranty goodby. LG machines are not that good to begin with so you want to keep that warranty. There's easier ways to accomplish what you're trying to accomplish without modifying your machine. Learn how the SL300T works and you won't need to modify your machine.

hillbilly911

Premium Member
Ok, I'm listening. I would love to achieve my goal without modifying the refer at this point. From what I see, theSL300T records temp data. So I record the temp characteristics of this refer and use the data to change these characteristics? Please elaborate if you would. This sounds really interesting. When I purchased this refer I did it because of the door in door. I didnt research it as I should have. It has become obvious that this model is an engineering nightmare according to customer reviews of compressor failures. The interesting thing about this refer is that 90% of the electronic parts are 12 volt DC. Down the road when everything is said and done with, I'll pull that linear compressor and adapt a dc compressor in attempt to power the whole unit with 12 volt dc. Thank you for bringing another solution to my attention.

rickgburton

Staff member
....Please elaborate if you would.
Nope, if you can't figure it out you're in way over your head. I help people fix their appliances not teach refrigerator modification 101...LOL
I'll pull that linear compressor and adapt a dc compressor in attempt to power the whole unit with 12 volt dc.
Way, way over your head. That's not even possible.
It has become obvious that this model is an engineering nightmare
..and you want to modify it?? LOL good luck!

hillbilly911

Premium Member
I will figure it out one way or another. Just a
retired old man that spends his time learning new things because if you are not always learning then you are truly wasting your time. Thanks anyway.

rickgburton

Staff member
A temperature logger will show you how far apart the defrost cycles are. Average is about 12 hours. 6 AM and 6 PM no need to modify anything

hillbilly911

Premium Member
I sort of figured that out yesterday and used my wireless refrigerator temperature guage. I just set it to alarm at 7 degrees and it did when it went into defrost. I pulled power and then energized again to see how it would act. It went into defrost immediately. Wasn't ready for that so I'm going g to do it again at 4 pm today before the sun goes down and then record when it goes into defrost tonight or in the morning. What, did you feel bad for picking on an old man? Lol. I'm as old as dirt. 64 is young.

hillbilly911

Premium Member
I was born in 47 and you in 55, do the math. When I rebooted at 4pm it didnt immediately go into defrost. Must have been a fluke.

rickgburton

Staff member
OK, you're older than me so still no. Not all machines go into a defrost cycle when power is interrupted.

hillbilly911

Premium Member
Set unit up on a timer and put 1" foam sheet on sides and top. What a difference. 24.9 volts, no load, in battery when the sun comes up, 80%. Battery was 24.4, 60% before experimentation. Three days consistently. I'm happy and no electrical modifications. The way smaller frigidaire that was in service here before the LG used slightly more power. GOOD DEAL.

hillbilly911

Premium Member
Hey rick, check this out. Sensor push wireless. Does all the temp graphs on phone app. I've been using it and you were absolutely right on the defrost timing. 12 hours. You solved my problem. All has been good for last couple of weeks.

hillbilly911

Premium Member
Hey rick. The average humidity last week was 54% and the defrost cycle was running average 12 hours. The average humidity this week is 58% and the defrost cycle is averaging 18 hours. Seems like the opposite would be happening. Have any idea????