LT103CNR A/C sweet smelling odor

Kmax99

Premium Member
Model Number
LT103CNR
Brand
LG
Hi all, I get an occasional odor out of my LG wall unit. The odor is like the odor that you would get from an overheating auto with a sweet smelling anti freeze smell.
Would anyone know what the cause is?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Have you cleaned the filter in the front of it?

A sweet smell can also be a freon leak, but if that was the case you'd notice it would stop cooling properly.

Jake

Kmax99

Premium Member
Thanks Jake, I've cleaned the filter. Like you, I also think that if it were freon it wouldn't be cooling correctly, but it is cooling properly.
I smell this odor a couple of times a day with the unit running all day. I had called a appliance repair company and they
wouldn't even come out to check it, because they can't get parts for LG's easily. I live in apartment and I've had the building manager
here but there wasn't any odor while he was here. I'm stuck. The only other thing that I can think of is mold. Do you think that there
is mold in the unit and that's causing the problem?

Kmax99

Premium Member
Is it possible that at times something expands for a short period and releases a little freon before contracting to seal the leak?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No, I don't think its mold.

Is it possible that at times something expands for a short period and releases a little freon before contracting to seal the leak?
No, not likely.

I really don't know what to tell you.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Your welcome.

Jake