• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

LTC223505SS Control Board Return Question

ssshadii

Premium Member
Model Number
LTC223505SS
Brand
LG
I purchased a control board from my fridge, and then determined that it did not have to be replaced. I want to send it back, but the website I bought it from is scaring me. They say that if it was installed they won't return it to you and they won't reimburse you. What do they typically mean by this? Do they test the board somehow to see if it was powered up? Do they mean if it was taken out of the package (which I did)?

Thanks

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Connected to wires or not?

They say that if it was installed they won't return it to you and they won't reimburse you. What do they typically mean by this?
If it was a new and unused part they shipped, it is usually possible to tell if wires have been connected to it. If wires have been connected, it would usually qualify as "installed".

Just opening the packaging should not qualify as installed but they would need to confirm all items supplied with it originally (part, instructions, etc.) were also returned. But check with the company what their policy is. It is totally up to them.

Do they test the board somehow to see if it was powered up?
I don't know any company that would do (or be capable of doing) that.

Dan O.
www.Appliance411.com
The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

ssshadii

Premium Member
If it was a new and unused part they shipped, it is usually possible to tell if wires have been connected to it. If wires have been connected, it would usually qualify as "installed".
Wow! How could they possibly make that call with certainty? They are stating on their website that if you send it back and it has been installed, they will not reimburse your money, and not send the product back. I can't see how anyone would make that call based on a scratch on a connector.

They really do this?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Returns

How could they possibly make that call with certainty? I can't see how anyone would make that call based on a scratch on a connector.
Because a new (ie. uninstalled) part won't have any. And it won't just be a scratch on ONE connector, it will be on ALL of them. Too many people buy stuff to try before they buy. Taking something like that back could screw the next person who buys it. When you buy something you want it working right, right??

It is impossible to have a jig to test every single electrical component they sell when returned and it would be time consuming even if they did. It would be cost prohibitive. I'm sure if you were willing to pay for return shipping again, they'll send it back to you. Ask.

I always suggest consumers find out return details before purchasing anything. They vary from vendor to vendor but most are similar.

LINK > Appliance411: Repair Parts: Don't be surprised!

One online supplier with a very broad return policy is the RepairClinic.

JFYI

Dan O.
www.Appliance411.com
The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

jackofalltrades

Appliance Tech
We all want virgin parts. I have been burned twice in the last year by parts that were obviously installed prior to my purchase. It's easy enough to see, as Dan O said, by looking for tell tale slip marks on the pins. Virgin boards don't have slip marks!!
There are people who will put the old part back in the box and return the item. I ordered a Magnetron . It had slip marks and the RF gasket was brown when it arrived. I installed it just to test it and sure enough it was bad. It was probably returned by a local service guy. They took his word and it went back on the shelf.
Not saying this is something you would do but there are those who will try anything for a buck.
This begs the question, what do companies with a 365 day, no questions asked, return policy do with parts that get returned because the problem was not solved after installation? I ordered a board from one of them and it had slip marks on it. Fortunately it worked.
Hey did I just answer my own question ??