• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED LTCS24223S New PCB Lights on with Doors Closed Lights Off with Doors open

Ken F

Premium Member
Model Number
LTCS24223S
Brand
LG
When I came home the other day and opened the freezer and fridge no lights no fan like it was unplugged. Removed the PCB and the fuse was blown and the IPM was burned. We had a lightning strike that blew the fuse at the power pole and tripped the main breaker to the house a couple of days before so I think a surge took out the PCB. I replaced the PCB with one from Encompass and the evap. fan freezer fan and compressor power up and run. The freezer fan shuts off after about a minute but the compressor and evap fan continue to run. When I open the freezer or fridge door the light that was on with the door closed goes out. With either door open I can turn the light on by flagging the switch with my magnetic screw driver tip. The unit is normal in Test mode 1 and 2 with no blink codes when I push the test switch on the PCB. In test mode the lights on the fridge temp control are normal if I flag the door switch with my screwdriver. I lifted one lead from each light switch and with the doors closed the freezer is cold with the fan running and the fridge is cooling down. Everything seems OK except it seems like the PCB thinks the doors are open when they're closed. This is the 2nd PCB from Encompass and they both worked the same.
Has anyone seen this before? is there a way to fix it?
Thanks,
Ken F

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Sorry Ken, I'm having a hard time following you. Right off the bat I would say you have a bad door switch and according to that model number it's a three wire switch. I don't see any magnetic switches in the parts diagram. What's the part number of the board you replaced? If it worked correctly before the board was replaced and replacing the board didn't fix it, bad board. That statement stands by itself.

Door Switch 6600JB1010A

Ken F

Premium Member
Hi Rick,
The door switch is a 2 wire magnetic switch. I removed and tested the freezer door switch per the LG service manual. The switch is normally open, no continuity. When I hold the switch next to the magnet in the door it closes and has continuity. The new board is PN EBR78764101. Both boards I've gotten from Encompass have identical part numbers to the burned one I removed from the refrigerator. I returned the first replacement board thinking it was faulty. Both replacement boards act the same installed in the fridge. That is when the doors are closed the lights are on, doors open lights off. It's like the board is looking for a switch closure when the door opens. The fridge is working now except for the lights and the fridge temp display. I may try a mechanical switch that makes when the door opens.
Thanks,
Ken F

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
You sure you gave me the correct model number? The switch should be normally closed so with the door open the lights come on. On the switch in my last post there are three terminals COM (Common), NO (Normally Open) and NC. The two wires should be on COM and NC (Normally Closed).

Ken F

Premium Member
It's Fixed.
"What's the part number of the board you replaced? If it worked correctly before the board was replaced and replacing the board didn't fix it, bad board. That statement stands by itself."
So I bought the first replacement board over the phone and no one asked me for the last 7 digits of the product code. When I installed the board and it didn't work correctly I assumed bad board. RMA for the same part and had the same problem. Out of desperation I called a local appliance repair co. The person I talked to listened to my story and asked for the Fridge model# and the product code. He called me back and offered to sell me a board and guaranteed that it would fix my problem. I being skeptical asked for a price installed so if it didn't work it would be his problem. I started thinking that if he was so confident there mist be more to the story. Went online to the same place I got the 2 other boards and before I could order one I had to chose from 5 different product codes. Chose mine and the part number came up as EBR78764104. When I looked at what I'd received before they were both EBR78764101. The 2 digit suffix does not appear on the board so visually they're identical.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Not so fast.:)

Rick is correct, I don't see a magnetic door switch on this model either, so we need to know why your model number does not match the parts list we see?

Rick posted your door switch above for the model number you gave us.

Jake

Ken F

Premium Member
Hey Jake,
WP_20180828_18_19_04_Pro.jpg
Attached is a JPEG of the name plate.
LTCS24223S/03
GM-U652SSDM.ASTCNA3
The underlined section of the product code was got me to the correct PCB.
Thanks,
Ken

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I want to see why yours has a magnet door switch, when it should be a normal toggle switch style like your parts list says it should be?

Rick and I don't see any magnetic switches in the parts diagram. That's what we are trying to clear up.:)

Wait, I do see it now, but only on encompass's site: https://encompass.com/item/10171709/LG/EBF61314804/

Here's his parts diagram with that Product Code ASTCNA3: https://encompass.com/model/ZENLTCS24223S/ASTCNA3

Rick have you ever seen that before, where its NOT LISTED on other part sites too?

Thanks Ken for clearing that up, I've never seen that happen before where its NOT LISTED on other part sites too.

Jake

Last edited: