FIXED LTF2140FS2 Washer failing to spin due to faulty door latch or control board

bripley

Premium Member
Model Number
LTF2140FS2
Brand
Frigidaire
I have an 8 year old Frigidaire front load washer. A bit more than a year or so ago it failed to go into final spin and eventually I figured out it was due to a failed door latch assembly. I replaced it and less than a year later it started doing the same thing. I replaced the just the wax motor in the door latch assembly and it started working fine again. But 6 or so months later it started doing the same thing. I fully replaced the assembly and now 4 months later it is again not spinning up due to faulty door lock (always error code E43 "Door locking problem.") Since I replaced the latch assembly or parts of it 3 times in a little over a year, I really don't think the door latch is the root cause of the problem, unless there are a lot of weak wax motors out there?! Could the control board be bad? Could it be not sufficiently powering the wax motor and not fully engaging? Has anyone run into this? I would like some advice before I drop $200 on a new control board. Would I be able to measure the voltage with a DMM on the latch assembly while it is out of position in the washer to confirm a good/back control board?

Thanks,
Brandon

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I agree with Rick with the problem being the control board.

Here's the console control board for your model, you can order:
User Control and Display Board 137005000

Here's the repair manual for your model, it will explain how to access and change it:
Here's the tech. data sheet for your model:

E43=Control board thinks the door locking device has failed. Refer to TEST 7.

TEST 7 says:
1. Start the diagnostic test. Turn the program knob 8 clicks clockwise from the start position.

If the Washer spins. Defective door lock assembly.
If the Washer does NOT spin. Defective console control board.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good, let us know what you find.

Jake

bripley

Premium Member
Replacing the control board has fixed the problem so far. It was able to spin up to normal spin on a quick spin/drain test and successfully spun at the end of two cycles. For fun I opened up the old control board to see if I could see any damage. The heater connector is J3 and below J3 there are some soot marks and some solder mask missing so it looks like there was some arcing at some point. There are a few other arcing marks on the bottom of the board. Looks like it might have been damp at some point. I'm surprised there isn't more wrong with the board. Attached are some pictures. IMG_20180805_211740.jpgIMG_20180805_211757.jpg

Thank you for the help!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yup, I see that.:)

Glad to hear the new control board fixed it.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

bripley

Premium Member
Well it's been almost a year and my washer has again stopped spinning at anything faster than a slow tumble. I replaced the wax motor and it spun at high speed for a few loads! Alas, it is back to the slow spin again. Could my board have burned out again?!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

bripley

Premium Member
I ran a few spin cycles and it's working again ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That repair manual was really helpful because it explained the operation of the switch assembly (page 49). I put together a little table of what the voltages should be on the switch assembly while running in various states.

My hypothesis is that the wax motor ages and gets slower or doesn't travel as far and won't sufficiently engage the door lock auxiliary switch contacts. I opened up the switch assembly, cleaned the contacts on the door lock auxiliary switch and bent the inner contact so it is closer to the outer contact so that the wax motor will engage them earlier. While I was in there I bent the armature of the coil to hopefully reduce the loud 60Hz buzzing it sometimes does through much of the wash cycle.

Historically, when I put in a new door latch assembly or a new wax motor, the door latch buzzes really loud through much of the wash cycle, and the spin cycle works fine. Later, maybe 6 months down the line I don't notice much buzzing anymore and the washer occasionally won't spin. There is a small amount of play between the armature when the coil is engaged and the plastic wedge on the wax motor when the wax motor is fully engaged. Maybe about the right amount of space for the armature to vibrate against the wax motor wedge and buzz. If the wax motor doesn't fully engage, the armature has a lot more room to vibrate without hitting something, and also may not engage the door lock auxiliary contacts. So I think the wax motors slowly degrade. I really didn't expect wax motors to be that short lived, so it's rather odd.

If this keeps happening, my next idea may be to just short the Orange wire to a Red/Black wire to make it look like the door lock auxiliary switch is always engaged!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Good job on the door latch lock table you made.:)

You will need to replace the door latch lock switch assembly.:)

You can order it here:
Door Lock 131763256

Jake