• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED LW1216ER Need help with instruction on how to replace relay board.

Nathaniel Epting

Premium Member
Model Number
LW1216ER
Brand
LG
Hi there,

After finding the thread below, I'm trying to fix the same problem for my model, which is an LG LW1216ER. I believe I have found the assembly board (EBR76261807), but is that the same as the relay board in the thread below? And if it is, how do I go about replacing it? Are there any tutorials to follow, or is it fairly straightforward?

FIXED: LG Window A/C Compressor does not turn off

Thanks guys.

~Nate

Nathaniel Epting

Premium Member
Are you sure? When I check the compatibility, it doesn't seem to work for my model.

Would I need a new control board or assembly board? Thanks!

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Take a look at this diagram. Which board do you need?
LG AC Control.jpg

Nathaniel Epting

Premium Member
I'm not entirely sure, to be honest. Jeff1, one of the mods, answered on the thread I linked above in my original post, "Yes it does sound like a relay for the compressor is stuck/welded closed all of the time = new board time..." And then he linked to a PcB assembly/relay board.

Whichever board has that piece on it, is the one I'm looking for. I'm not a technician here, so I'm not sure the differences between all the boards. My guess is that it would be the assembly board?

Last edited:

rickgburton

Staff member
They're two different model numbers. The parts are different. Two different models with the same symptoms doesn't necessarily mean the same part has failed. So, why don't you start from the beginning and tell me what your machine is doing or not doing.

Nathaniel Epting

Premium Member
Sure, that would be great. Thanks! Here's what's being going on:

I've had my LW1216ER for just over a year now. It's been running great, up until about 5 days ago, where after I power off the unit the compressor will still keep running. I've called LG and spoke to a certified tech person of theirs, and he was able to help me identify that it was the compressor and not a fan that kept running.

In order to get it to stop, I have to manually unplug the unit from the outlet. It's passed the "Reset/Test" prescribed on the outlet, but it did fail LG's compressor test.

Coincidentally, last night a new development happened with it. A rep from LG said that the unit would be safe to run (until I got it fixed soon) as long as the unit was powered on, but I shouldn't let the compressor keep running after the unit was off. Well, last night the unit was powered on and running just fine, but at some point in the early morning I noticed that the unit was barely blowing any cold air now too. If I put my hand up to it, some cold air would be coming out, but barely anything at all. And when I turned off the unit, the compressor still kept running still too.

rickgburton

Staff member
So the compressor runs 100% of the time when it's on and doesn't cycle off regardless of the temperature setting? That would cause the compressor to heat up enough where it would start cycling on the overload protector attached to the compressor. There's three wires on the compressor. Two of those wires will connect to a capacitor and the third wire connects to the RY-COMP on the control board. That's the relay that is stuck. I'll look for a wire diagram and confirm that.

Nathaniel Epting

Premium Member
Yep. I haven't let it run without the air flowing though, I make sure to disconnect it. Letting the compressor run seemed like a bad idea.

Great, I appreciate all the help. Anything you can tell me will help. Ideally, I'm hoping I can buy a new part that won't be hard to instal, providing I can find a tutorial on how to do it myself. If not, I'll end up having to buy a whole new unit since the cost of having a " LG certified" repair technician do the work and order the parts is more than the unit itself.

rickgburton

Staff member
It comes apart a lot easier than you think. The entire unit slides out of its cabinet. There's probably 3 screws under the bottom front and 4 screws on the back. There might be 3 screws under the bottom back and maybe a couple on each side. The front will pop off. Then just slide it forward about 10" and you can access everything from there. I've never seen the RY-COMP on the display board only the main control board but it's LG so who knows. The display board is no longer available so order the EBR65107502 control board. repairclinic and APP show it's out of stock but searspartsdirect.com shows it in stock for $24

Nathaniel Epting

Premium Member
Great thanks! And your sure that part will work on my model air conditioner? Does the part just slide in and replace the old one, or is there complex wiring needed? I don't have much experience with this.

rickgburton

Staff member
If you gave me the correct model number, that's the correct part. Take the old part out with the wires still connected and install the new part. Then take the wires off the old part, one at a time, and put them on the new part. Take pictures as you go as backup.

Nathaniel Epting

Premium Member
Ok, got the part in today and took the machine apart. Turns out, it's the wrong board for my unit. It's almost exactly the same, but the layout is different, and one particular wire won't fit/attach to the socket of the part I ordered.

It was easier than I thought to take it all apart. Looks like the board number I need to order is: EBR 77730501HD1601040518

Hilariously, taking my board out and simply reattaching it and thoroughly vacuuming the rest of the unit seemed to actually fix my problem, at least so far anyways.

Here's a few photos:

Air conditioner Board.jpgLW1216ER Wiring diagram.jpg

Last edited:

rickgburton

Staff member
Which wire won't fit? Can you take a picture of the two boards side by side when it stops working again. I'd like to tell you it won't happen again but it will. That big relay's contacts are sticking together. By moving it around they broke free. It will work for a while.

Nathaniel Epting

Premium Member
Sure thing. The part that doesn't fit would plug right into the blue piece below the C100 label on the bottom right of the board. Here's the board that's installed now (EBR7773050):
EBR7773050 board photo 1.jpgEBR7773050 board photo 2.jpg

The white piece on the bottom right is where that wire needed to go. But the way it's housed made it not fit. Here's the board that came (EBR65107502):
EBR65107502 board photo 1.jpgEBR65107502 board photo 2.jpg

rickgburton

Staff member
Oh I see now what you're saying. Did they send the wrong board or did I give you the wrong number??

Nathaniel Epting

Premium Member
Well, it would appear that any temporary fix seems to have reached its limit. I'm starting to have the same problems again, namely the compressor running after the unit is powered down. It looks like it's time to order that control board.

I ran my unit last night while I slept, and most of the night it worked fine. But at some point, it stopped blowing any air. When I powered down the unit the compressor was running, so I unplugged it. Not long after it sounded like some ice might have melted off and slid down.

Do you think this still might be a problem related to the control board? The fan generally seems to work fine at any given point, it's just after long periods of time running the unit in "cool" mode it seems that the airflow might stop.