FIXED LW1510ER LG Window A/C Compressor does not turn off

wiltel10

Premium Member
Model Number
LW1510ER
Brand
LG
Hi,

I have a LG LW1510ER and yesterday I turned the unit off and the compressor stayed on. I have checked the function on the display and I can change the fan speed, change the timer, modes and adjust the temperature but the temperature never physically changes it is always cold since the compressor stays on all the time. Nothing has been changed I cleaned the unit last summer and haven't has any trouble with it till yesterday. What could the problem be is there a relay that is failing or the board and are these parts serviceable? I have used this forum before and the help was right on and was able to fix my fridge with ease. I appreciate any help that is given.

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

wiltel10

Premium Member
Thanks Jeff,

Going to order it right now and will post results when I get it installed.

jeff1

Staff member
Please do let us know how the repair goes.

jeff.

wiltel10

Premium Member
Part came in today installed during lunch took me about 15 minutes and now the A/C is working perfect again. Thanks for your help Jeff I really appreciate it. I would also like to say this is a great forum with many knowledgeable people willing to take the time and help.

Thanks again Jeff

jeff1

Staff member
Thankx for the update :)

jeff.

beachn

Premium Member
I should also state that when I turn it off and the compressor stays on, the only way for me to completely turn it off is either to unplug it or hit the test reset button on the cord to turn it off completely.

jeff1

Staff member

jeff1

Staff member
Your welcome, let us know how the repair goes.

jeff.

beachn

Premium Member
I received the part today, thanks for the fast shipping.

Now the big question is it possible to access it from the front or do I have to remove the big cover over the chassis to get to it. thank you

beachn

Premium Member
ok figured it out, chassis slides out.

now 2nd question. it turns on and off now good but not yet cold, i hear the compressor coming on. will check tomorrow

jeff1

Staff member
ok figured it out, chassis slides out
Isn't that a nice feature!?!

it turns on and off now good but not yet cold, i hear the compressor coming on.
After 5-10 minutes of running you should start to feel cold.

jeff.

beachn

Premium Member
well bummer, no cold air yet.
worked great before, but what we did for a week or two was when the problem first happened we would just hit the reset button to turn it off completely, and then hit the reset and then hit the on/off to turn it on. not sure if this procedure might have hurt something else also. Def here the compressor come on but the coils are just room temp.

jeff1

Staff member
Pulling the unit out and pushing it back in the shell *shouldn't* have hurt anything.....hopefully no one put a screw through something!

when the problem first happened we would just hit the reset button to turn it off completely, and then hit the reset and then hit the on/off to turn it on. not sure if this procedure might have hurt something else also
The refrigeration system and compressor need 5-8 minutes of off time to allwo the system pressures to equalize before restarting.....confirm the compressor is acually running and not shutting off on it's safety/overload.

jeff.

beachn

Premium Member
I just slide the unit back, not attached yet. I can hear the compressor kick on and stay running but the coils do not get cold. I know on the automotive a/c system when freon is low or lacking the compressor will cycle off and sometimes just stay off due to the safety pressure switch.

I just think I had more then 1 problem. when I decided to replace the relay was when I noticed it wasnt cold anymore. maybe when I was hitting the reset/test button all the time to turn it off and on I might have damaged something.

jeff1

Staff member
I know on the automotive a/c system when freon is low or lacking the compressor will cycle off and sometimes just stay off due to the safety pressure switch.
Only on vehicles and not on window or port a/c's.

I just think I had more then 1 problem. when I decided to replace the relay was when I noticed it wasnt cold anymore
Ooops, running and not cooling would have told us to not spend any money on it.

jeff.

Chef Jim

Premium Member
LW1810HR LG A/C compressor won't stop running

Sounds like the identical problem to these other folks, any idea where i could get the relay board for this model? It's the LG 18k BTU model LW1810HR.

rickgburton

Staff member
Yours doesn't have that relay board. (I think). I'm still looking. I answered your question in the other thread. Hope this helps.