LW1815ER Compressor runs when unit is powered off

Kaidey

Premium Member
Model Number
LW1815ER
Brand
LG
I've looked this issue up and I am pretty sure that there is an issue with the board and/or relay but would like confirmation.
We bought the AC unit last year and other than sounding like a jet engine when it turns on it worked perfectly fine. Yesterday (8/9/18) it was stupidly hot here in WA state, reaching 116. The AC was turned on cool with a set temp of 76, and while the fan was running all the time to move the air, you could hear and feel the air temperature difference when the compressor kicked on. All day it was cycling off and on as necessary and then at some point in the evening, maybe about 8 or 9 pm, the compressor did not cycle off and it was getting colder than usual in the house. The unit ran all night because at 10pm the outside temperature was still up near 100 getting up this morning, it felt like a refrigerator in the house.

We tried adjusting the temperature up and it was still cranking out cold air. We moved the setting from cold to energy saver to see if it would turn off completely and the compressor was still going. We powered it down (kept it plugged in), and now the compressor is turning on, running for a period of time, and then turning off - I am assuming this is because the unit was set on energy saver with a temperature of 80 before we turned it off.

So... will this repair be relatively inexpensive and easy to do with find-able parts, or are we looking at scrapping the basically new unit? Would it best to unplug the unit from the wall? Also, would it ruin the unit further to turn it on later in the day today (it is still cold in the house at the moment) as the temperature outside begins to rise (supposed to get up to 112) if I use it to cool the house (900ish sqft) and then turn it off as well as unplugging it - like a manual energy saver?

Thank you for reading my overly detailed post, and answering my questions, I greatly appreciate it.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
At 100% run with the outside temp over 100° the coils will start to frost over and block the airflow. Here's the part you need but it's out of stock wherever I look:

Main Control Board EBR76261810
Main-Control-Board-EBR76261810-04783581.jpg

Kaidey

Premium Member
Thank you for the quick reply. Would it further damage the AC unit if it were to be turned on periodically (not allowed to run all the time) to cool the house, then powered down then unplugged? It is still relatively cool in the house, but it will be heating up so I am looking for a temporary measure until I can either get a part or a replacement for the entire unit.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Run it until you see frost then turn it off until the frost melts. Take the front cover off and use a light to look at the evaporator coils, both sides. The frost may start on the back of the evaporator first. If you don't see any frost and you're going to replace it, let it run. If you're going to repair it I wouldn't let the compressor run longer than an hour at a time.

Kaidey

Premium Member
I didn't turn the unit back on until 6pm - when I plugged it back in, the compressor started up even though the unit was not turned on. When I did turn the whole unit on, the fan kicked on and I lost the sound of the compressor. I lowered the temperature on the cool setting from 80 until I heard the compressor kick on at about 74. I set the timer to shut off after an hour and it seemed to run fine. It sat off but not unplugged and the compressor has not kicked on at all for about half an hour until I turned the unit back on. It is sitting on energy saver and 74 degrees. Everything is kicking off and on as it should and the compressor is not running/making noise on its own.
I guess my question now is... was it too hot yesterday for the unit to run properly? If the unit did freeze up/malfunction, could it do so where the compressor was unable to turn off while the fan stayed blowing? Other than the air being very cold, there was no other indication that there was something wrong with the unit last night - but as I am typing this post, the AC has turned on 4 times, blew cold air, and then turned back off as it is supposed to. Should I still track down the part linked above, or play it by ear?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Rick had to go out of town for a family emergency.

Its best to play it by ear for now. I lived in Eugene/Springfield, Oregon 14 years and during the summer we would get hot temps in the 100-106 degree range, but it would only last about 3 days then go back down to the 80's and 90's. I would get a lot of service calls like yours when the temps where that high for this same problem, but after the heat broke the calls ended.

I assume your in eastern Washington where it gets hotter then Eugene/Springfield, Oregon.

Here in Arizona we easily get to 119 and 120 at least 5 days in the summer, then over 110-118 for about 15 days, then 100-109 for the rest of the summer.

One night here it was still 102 degrees at 1:30AM!!! LOL

Jake

Kaidey

Premium Member
Thank you for the follow up and the advice, it is a huge relief. I was irked over the idea of having to repair or even replace a unit after only a year.

We do live in Eastern Washington and just got through a three day stretch where the temperatures were over 105, the highest being 116. I had the AC running as normal and I have been hearing the compressor kick off and on like it is supposed to and everyone is happy, down to the dogs. I do not envy you the Arizona temps at all, that is just WAY too hot for me lol, but growing up in Montana where if you blink you miss summer, means I am just not built for the heat.

Thanks again to you both for the help, I greatly appreciate it!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good, we are glad to help.:)

Jake