• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED LWD3063ST LG Double Oven - no power, no display

Nypcdoc

Premium Member
Model Number
LWD3063ST
Brand
LG
Hello,

This double oven was installed for less than a month (but out of warranty) before it just went dead. I opened up the panel and see some burn marks on the transformer. Any ideas on what I should check or replace?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20190915_204534.jpg
    IMG_20190915_204534.jpg
    321.1 KB · Views: 212

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
.....see some burn marks on the transformer.
If it's less than a year old it should still be under warranty. It's hard to tell looking at pictures but I don't see any burn marks. Right behind that transformer is the terminal block. Check for 120 VAC across the red wires and the white wires and the black wires and the white wires. Then check for 220 VAC across the black wires and red wires.

Nypcdoc

Premium Member
Thanks for your reply. I will check as instructed. Not under warranty because it was sitting a year before being installed (kitchen wasnt ready). Here is another picture that shows what looks to me like burn marks.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20190915_204429.jpg
    MVIMG_20190915_204429.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 180

Nypcdoc

Premium Member
This is discoloration from the soldering flux that was used (normal)
View attachment 45948
OK, so here are my results:

Between red and white 0 V
Between red and black 123.5 V
Between black and white 123.5 V

So I see what's happening here... What should I check next? The junction box behind the in wall oven?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

rickgburton

Staff member
You're losing the voltage between the circuit breaker and the terminal block on the machine. If it uses a plug and outlet check that first.

Nypcdoc

Premium Member
Hard wired. I guess will have to check the junction box behind the oven next. Thanks.

Nypcdoc

Premium Member
So I reached out to LG and they authorized a service call even though I am technically out of warranty. The tech came over today and my wife said all he did was cycle the breaker and then say he's going to order the main board. Not sure where this is going, but hope this doesn't become a several month process.

rickgburton

Staff member
....he's going to order the main board.
Hold the phone! The main board is not going to fix your oven. Let's just double check. This is the terminal block on your oven where you took the voltage measurements and where the wires from the wall are connected, correct?
oven power supply.jpg

And this is where you took the measurements?
power supply.jpg

If this is correct, the problem is before the oven. He can replace every board in here and it won't make a difference. Take the front panel off your circuit breaker box and check the 40 amp double breaker. If needed, take a picture and I'll tell you how.

Nypcdoc

Premium Member
Yup, that is exactly where I checked for power. One of the legs definitely didn't have any voltage, I checked multiple times as a sanity check. As far as the breakers, I previously pulled the cover off, checked each leg against ground and got my 123.5. What I did not check though is between each leg and neutral, though I'm not sure if that would make a difference. The only reason I didn't check the junction box behind the oven is because its a double oven and I wouldn't be able to handle that on my own.

rickgburton

Staff member
It sounds like the problem might be in that junction box. I don't know if this will help but here's what I do when on a service call:
C-BI Oven Remove.jpg

Nypcdoc

Premium Member
The problem was indeed in one of the junction boxes (there were 2, 1 was hidden). In the hidden junction box a wire nut had melted. Cutting the wire, restriping and attaching a new wire it solved the issue. Thanks for the assistance.

IMG_20191202_192825.jpg