• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

LXR9245EQ1 Whirlpool washer will not spin.

Jim8923

Premium Member
Model Number
LXR9245EQ1
Brand
Whirlpool
I have whirlpool washing machine model number LXR9245EQ1 what is throwing me is I noticed the agitator dogs are broken that I know I can repair but it also will not go into a spin.

When you put it on the spin cycle it just goes through the cycle and doesn't make a sound. Both of these are problems arose at the same time that is what it is throwing me. if the coupler is bad when you put it on the spin cycle should not the motor engage or make a sound.

I need help diagnosing this problem would be appreciated. I have very little experience in washer repair. I know I can repair the dogs and the coupler. But what else might be causing my problem. So I can look at everything while it's apart

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, if the motor coupler was broken, the motor should still run. Does the timer still advance when it doesn't make a sound at the drain/spin cycle?

If the machine is dead silent and the timer does not advance when it gets to the drain/spin cycle it sounds like a bad lid switch.

Here's the lid switch for your model:
Lid Switch Assembly 3949247V

Watch this video to access/replace it: Replace Washer Lid Switch Video

Watch this video to test it: Lid Switch Testing Video

If you notice the plastic where the screws mount into the lid switch is cracked or broken, then that's definitely the problem.

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Jim8923

Premium Member
Hi Jake, Thank you for your reply, I do appreciate it. The timer does advance through the spin cycle and the timer works as it Should. I eliminated the lid switch years ago by tiring the two gray wires together with a wire nut. Worked for years.

However when I removed the cabinet I noticed a green wire hanging free, it goes into the wiring harness on the back of the machine, but the end hangs free, could that be my problem?

Does it connect to the gray metal back of the machine? As always thanks for you time.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, that green wire is likely the ground wire to the washer cabinet.

Does it spin on any cycle? Does it spin on any speed like slow speed?

If not, check your motor switch first to see if you notice any burnt contacts on it or on the wire harness side.

Motor switch:
WP8529896 Motor Start Switch

Jake

Jim8923

Premium Member
Thanks Jake, no spin on any cycle. I do not see anything that looks burnt however when I looked underneath it I did find this broken piece of plastic any idea what it might go to as it might help me diagnose what is wrong with this thing

Attachments

• IMG_20220409_154527.jpg
    IMG_20220409_154527.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20220409_154453.jpg
    IMG_20220409_154453.jpg
    313.6 KB · Views: 23

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Rick helped another person with your same motor:
Do what he mentions to do and let us know.

Here's the motor for your model:
WP661600 Direct Drive Washer Motor

Here's the timer for your model:
Timer WP3949208

when I looked underneath it I did find this broken piece of plastic any idea what it might go to as it might help me diagnose what is wrong with this thing
I don't know what those plastic pieces are.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Anytime!

Jake

Jim8923

Premium Member
OK thanks
Hi Jake, see if I got this correct even if the agitator dogs and the coupler are bad the motor should sound like it's trying to spin the bucket. When I run it through all the cycles nothing runs but the pump
Is that correct? Because I can replace the agitator dogs and a coupling really easily if it's the transmission or something electrical then I will replace the unit so let me know and thank you for the help

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The pump is attached to the motor on your model, so that can't run unless the motor runs.

Can you make a video of this problem your having, I really need to see it happening and upload it here or you can upload the video to Youtube and post the Youtube link here. Or share your video per Google Drive, Dropbox, or Microsoft OneDrive and post the share link here.

Jake

Jim8923

Premium Member
Sorry about that Jake I hit the wrong button. The washer will fill up and pump water out the selector dial Will move all the way through all the cycles, and then shut off as it should. but all it does is let water in and pump water out. It doesn't spin it doesn't agitate. But I know the agitator dogs are in pieces. So I really don't have anything to video. I even removed the agitator to see if the transmission splines that the agitator sets on we're turning nothing.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member