• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Magic Chef 31MA-3KX Range Ignitor Issue

raski

Premium Member
Model Number
31MA-3KX
Brand
Magic Chef
Time to address my appliance issues. My Magic Chef gas range (model 31MA-3KX) has a problem with the ignitor for only the front right burner which is the one I always use. In a very rare moment the ignitor works but 99% of the time, there is no snapping noise taking place to ignite the burner and I have to use a match to light. The other three burners work fine. Not sure what to expect as to the cause.

I thought on most ranges you can pop loose the top of the range to access the burners. From what I understand this range requires a lot of disassembly to get at the burners and I can't seem to figure out how to disassemble the range. My manual is not much help. I would appreciate any suggestions to solving this annoying issue and troubleshoot and how to disassemble to access the burner area.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Usually when you turn the surface burners on and one is not snapping(clicking) then its the burner switch that has gone bad.

If you want to verify that, just swap it with another one that is working good. Make sure you disconnect power to your range first.

Here's the burner switch for your model:
WP7403P287-60 Switch, Igniter

There is a video in the burner switch part link that shows you how to replace it.

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

raski

Premium Member
Thanks Jake, excellent video. I noticed the part and video are for Whirlpool, does the part and procedure apply to Magic Chef? I was wondering if Whirlpool made the ranges for Magic Chef?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Maytag bought Magic Chef, then Whirlpool bought Maytag.

So yes, that video should be basically the same for yours.

Jake