• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Magic Chef 7858XUW bottom oven doesn't heat up pass 220

KHanson3

Premium Member
Model Number
7858XUW
Brand
Magic Chef
I have a Magic Chef 7858XUW, It's a dual oven top and bottom. The problem I have is the bottom oven doesn't heat up pass 220, using volt meter with temp gauge to test. Ive tested the oven temp sensor and element and are both fine. The element turns orange. Both have been replaced. The top oven works perfectly. When I turn on and set temp 400 for bottom oven the temp will raise very quick to the temp I set at, but its only 220 degree. I didn't test outlet for 220v but I'm guessing its getting 220v; just saying.

My 2 cents circuit board bad?

Thanks

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
KHanson3 said:
The element turns orange.

Which element? The bake, the broil, both??

Does it/they stay glowing when the oven reaches 220 or what happens?

KHanson3 said:
Both have been replaced.

Both what?

Dan O.

KHanson3

Premium Member
Just the bake, I never use broil, the broil does work tho. Yes it does glow at 220...

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
If the bake element continues to glow red hot it has to get hotter than 220. Or are you just saying the display won't go past 200 no mater how hot the oven gets?

Please clarify what is occurring.

BTW. On some models the broil element is suppose to be on during a preheat as well. Maybe you can check to confirm if it is or isn't?

Dan O.

KHanson3

Premium Member
what I did:
Turn bottom oven to 250 it turned on the element wasnt hot or red? Then set to 300 the temp started at 275? the element got red, you could see the temp on digital go up every 5 degrees then hit 300 and stopped. Now way it was 300? It took less then 30 seconds

The broil element was hot to touch if that answers your question. When I set oven.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
KHanson3 said:
the element got red

Just the bake?

KHanson3 said:
The broil element was hot to touch if that answers your question. When I set oven.

But never glowed red?

KHanson3 said:
then hit 300 and stopped.

And what were the element(s) doing then?? Still glowing red, shut off??

KHanson3 said:
Now way it was 300?

What was the temperature? Exactly

How long did you leave it at that? Did it ever get hotter?

In order to try to give any kind of accurate diagnosis we need accurate and detailed descriptions of symptoms and what exactly is or is not occurring at those times.

Dan O.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
If the control is reading an inaccurate temperature and the oven temperature sensor is good I can't see the problem being in other than the electronic control. Unfortunately it is discontinued and NLA. If you wanted to fix the range you'd have to either find a used electronic control or a repair service for your original control. The latter usually involves removing the part and sending it away to be repaired and then reinstalling it once returned.

Magic Chef 7858XUW Electronic Control

Dan O.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
It's the correct part number. I have no idea of its functioning.

Dan O.

KHanson3

Premium Member
Update:
So I sent the electronic control panel to a place in KS Called The Repair Shack. Found them on eBay. Had bad solder joints where the temp sensor area. Took 2 weeks... We're cooking baby! All good!

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Glad to hear it. Thanks for the follow up.

Dan O.

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.