• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Magic Chef Gas range

moscafj

Premium Member
Not sure how to identify the model of my magic chef gas range. It is at least 10 years old. About 6 months ago the broiler stopped working. I am not worried about that. Tonight, while the oven was set to about 400...and it reached it...it then began making a rhythmic wooshing sound, about the time when the burner recycled to maintain the temp. When this happened, burners on the stove, which were ignited, pulsed lower with the rhythm. I turned the oven off. I turned it back on. The pulsing returned.

1. Any thoughts on what to do?
2. Do you think there are any safety concerns here?

Thanks,
Frank

moscafj

Premium Member
Magic Chef model #

As a follow up, I found the model number: 34HN 3TKXW

Frank

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

I remember I had one of these do this when I lived in Tucson, AZ. but thats been 6 years ago, and i can't recall what I did to fix it.

It only does this sound after it gets to the temp. you set it at?

Could be a possible regulator problem.

Jeff has a link on his site about it:
http://www.applianceaid.com/gas.html#regulator

Jake

moscafj

Premium Member
magic chef range follow up

Jake, or anyone else who cares to reply,

As another follow up, today the oven ignights but it seems to be very slowly heating up. No more rhythmic sounds. Does this still sound like a regulator problem? If so, is this something I can attempt to repair myself?
Thanks,
Frank

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Do the top burners still go down when the oven is on? Can you hear the gas coming into the oven and see the oven burner flame?

Jake

moscafj

Premium Member
reply to your questions

Burners seem to work fine. The oven ignights, but does not heat up. No more unusual sounds.
Frank

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

moscafj

Premium Member
Glow bar

Thanks Jake. The glow bar does indeed glow and the gas ignights. I don't think I understand the diagnosis.

Is this a fairly straightforward repar? Can I install it myself?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I guess I'm confused, you say it glows and ignites the gas but still won't heat? It has to be heating if the gas flame is on, unless your gas flame is so small its not heating properly?

I was under the impression the glow bar was just staying on, but not igniting the gas.

Jake

moscafj

Premium Member
magic chef range follow up

Probably my fault Jake. Sorry about the lack of clarity. Part of the problem is that the stove is behaving inconsistently. I am sitting in front of my oven as I type this. I just set it for 400 degrees. The glow light has come on and is glowing brightly. ...waiting for the gas to kick in...gas has kicked in and I have closed the oven door. Now, yesterday I got to this point and after about 5 minutes, the thermostat still registered 100 degrees. It has been less than a minute and I am up to 190 now. So far it appears to be working. At 2 minutes, I am up to 275. I am going to get a stove top burner going so that I can reproduce the original scenario.

Ok...at 340 the gas in the oven began making the rhythmic wooshing sound. The stove top burner pulsed with the noise. Now, the gas in the oven kicked out, then re-ignited. That is pretty much where we are. ...whoosh, whoosh, whoosh...slightly less than a second apart. I've shut her down.

Any thoughts?

Frank

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No, sorry don't have a clue of whats going on with it, I would suggest a appliance repair company come out to check it.

Jake