• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

    ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

    Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

    From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

    Jake
  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Magic Chef Microwave Problems

Eagle Spirit

Premium Member
Joined
Dec 17, 2006
Messages
5
Location
Woodinville, WA
Hi,

We have a Magic Chef Microwave and are having some problems.

We are here in Washington state and just had a wide spread blackout due to storm damage.

Now our microwave and dishwasher do not work. I will post on the dishwasher on another thread.

The microwave light works but the display does not work. I am pretty sure we had a spike of high voltage due to generator problems.

Since the light works does this mean that the fuse is ok? Is it beyond simple repairs?

I will try and answer more questions if needed to help fix these problems.

The microwave model number is, MCD 1311ST

Thanks!

On the dishwasher there is just no display if someone wants to try and tackle this problem. Fuse or board maybe? I figure either one is cheaper than a new dishwasher.

Thanks again!
 

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Oct 10, 2004
Messages
24,759
Location
Ontario, Canada
Hi,

Since the light works does this mean that the fuse is ok?
Yes.

The microwave light works but the display does not work.
We would normally check for power comming into the board, power comming in but the board is not comming on = bad board.

Is it beyond simple repairs?
Probably.

jeff.
 
Top