FIXED Magic Chef Oven - No heat, clock only comes on when a burner is turned on

Arrow1221

Premium Member
Model Number
?
Brand
Magic Chef
Good morning everyone,

I have a Magic Chef glass top oven in my rental unit. (Sorry...no model number...but it's at least 15 years old. Probably much older.) My renter called me the other day to say that it was not working. She said that the circuit was tripped (double circuit breaker) but when she reset it the oven still did not work. No heat to any of the burners, no heat in the oven. But the odd thing is the digital clock turns on only when any combo of the 4 burners are turned on.

I haven't been able to test to make sure I'm getting full power, but I have no reason to suspect that we're not. There have been no electrical storms here lately, and all of the other appliances are functioning normally. We did some plumbing repairs this week, and there is an outside chance that something might have been disturbed, but I doubt it. My gut is saying it's just coincidental timing.

Any ideas would be appreciated. I won't have a chance to get out and do some troubleshooting until Monday.

Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, it's most likely in your electrical to the range, the chances of everything going dead like that in one shot would be extremely rare.

You'll need to check for 240 volts to the range with a multimeter.

The reason the clock works is because that's only 120 volts, but all the heating elements need 240 volts to heat.

Jake

Arrow1221

Premium Member
Update: I finally had a chance to get out and check on the stove. Sure enough, I was only getting half power. I checked the breaker, and there was power leaving the breaker and entering the line, but it was not reaching the line at the other end. So, when the plumbing work was being done last week they must have done something.

Good news: I'm not on the hook for a repair, and my renter is very understanding.

Bad news: My renter is without her stove/oven for the time being. Hopefully we'll be able to get this fixed quickly.

Thanks Jake for the tip on what to look for. Had you not replied, I might have gone out and bought a used stove of Craigslist and wasted some hard earned money.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, good find!

Thanks for the update!

Jake