• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Magic Chef Refrigerator HMDR1000WE - freezer seems to be working properly. Refrigerator is staying warm

Danerlinger

Premium Member
Model Number
HMDR1000WE
Brand
Magic Chef
My freezer seems to be working properly. Refrigerator is staying warm. Compressor seems to be turning on and staying warm. What is the problem? Where do i start? And how do I fix without replacing the unit?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The fan in the freezer is not running? Is the condenser fan motor next to the compressor running?

If just the freezer fan is not running, then its possibly bad. The voltage rating is on this freezer fan motor, ITS LIKELY 12 VOLTS DC, but you should see a tag on model with the voltage rating on it, then use a multimeter and see if its getting the proper volts to it, if so and its just humming and not running, then its bad.

Here's the freezer evaporator fan motor this model:

Jake

Danerlinger

Premium Member
Both fans are spinning and running. Sorry for the confusion... So is there anything else that could be keeping the cold air from the freezer to move through to the fridge?
I have another Magic chef refrigerator unit that has the same model number except its the Black exterior color. So since that one had been unplugged for a few weeks because I was having similar issues with that one. The landlord brought me another Magic Chef same type and thats the one my original post was for.
I took the plate off the freezer to make sure the fan would spin properly and it does, also condenser is running. I do not see a fan exposed near the condenser. The condenser is the big black part at the bottom back of the unit that gets warm while running, correct?
I dont see a fan near the condenser on either unit. I see a tray thats screwed in next to condenser and a black box with a clip on it that seems to be plugged into the condenser, but no fan is down there on the bottom in the back.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
So is there anything else that could be keeping the cold air from the freezer to move through to the fridge?
Look for a ice blockage in your vents that go to your refrigerator section.

Take a photo of your freezer evaporator coil and upload it here, I need to see the frost pattern on it.

Jake