• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Magic Chef Refrigerator HVDR1040W - Not cooling properly in refrigerator section - Fan direction help

drkernel

Premium Member
Model Number
HVDR1040W
Brand
Magic Chef
Good afternoon, All
New member here :)
I recently came across an issue with my refrigerator model HVDR1040W
It was only freezing but not cooling at the bottom. I decided to take apart the fan cover to see if I can clean up the duck going to the bottom which was covered with ice
My problem is that in the process I yanked the cover too hard and broke the 2 wires going to the motor. I soldered them back but now I don't know if the fan is blowing to the correct way since the bottom still not cooling but the the clogged has been removed
1637631220239.png

My question is if that fan should be blowing in (towards the coils or out towards me when I open the door?

Attachments

• 1637631108692.png
    1637631108692.png
    333.3 KB · Views: 15

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
My question is if that fan should be blowing in (towards the coils or out towards me when I open the door?
The freezer evaporator fan motor should be blowing Out towards you.

Make sure you put the back panel back in place to have proper air flow down to the refrigerator section.

Jake

drkernel

Premium Member
Thank you, Jake
The fan is blowing air out towards me and I unplugged the ice that was blocking the path btw the freezer and refrigerator (bottom) but I still only getting about 52~55 degrees only.
I also noticed that when I open the freezer and the door I get more air flowing to the bottom but once I close the freezer I don't feel much cool breeze coming from the top
Please help!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I also noticed that when I open the freezer and the door I get more air flowing to the bottom but once I close the freezer I don't feel much cool breeze coming from the top
That means you have a blockage in your return air vent, look for the return air vent towards the bottom of your refrigerator section and clear the blockage.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I believe so, I forgot on top freezer models its up top too. On side by side refrigerators its usually on the bottom.

Yes, de-ice it and you should be back in business.

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

drkernel

Premium Member
Thank you so much, Jake!
That worked. I'm adding some pictures here; perhaps it can help others as well :)
1637729941867.png

1637729985604.png

After clearing that I get about 35° ~ 38°F now and I do feel the breeze even when the freezer (top) is closed
Thank you again!!

-Los

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Los, good job clearing the ice/frost out of the return air vent, glad to hear its cooling great in the refrigerator section now.(y)

Thanks for the update and for uploading your photos!

Jake