• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Magic Chef Wine and Beverage Cooler Not Cooling (BTWB530ST1)

kduval2

Premium Member
Model Number
BTWB530ST1
Brand
Magic Chef
My Magic Chef Wine and Beverage Cooler (Model number: BTWB530ST1) is about two years old and two weeks ago it stopped cooling. The thermostat is set to 42 degrees but it won't get below 60 now. Below are the trouble shooting steps I have tried so far:

1) Both zone fans are running fine. No ice build up. Took the back panel off and there was no lint build up anywhere and the compressor fan is running fine. Digital thermostat numbers are clear and there are no error codes.
2) The compressor was very hot to touch. So I replaced the relay and overload. I turned everything back on and it worked fine for two days. I put it back in the under cabinet nook and put beers in it. Within 4 hours, it was back up to 60.
3) I thought it was a ventilation issue so I pulled it back out of the nook but left it plugged in. And it did get back down to 42 degrees. I thought I was in the clear.
4) Came back from vacation a week later (with it still out in the open) and it is back up to 60 degrees. The compressor is not warm at all anymore so I am wondering if it is done.

I am at a loss for what could be the problem. I assume at this point it is a faulty compressor which means I am better off just buying a new cooler. But I wanted to check here first for any ideas. Thoughts on what could be the issue?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
kduval2 said:
The compressor is not warm at all anymore so I am wondering if it is done.

That would be my guess, yes.

kduval2 said:
I assume at this point it is a faulty compressor which means I am better off just buying a new cooler.

If the compressor is defective it would likely be cost effective to replace the whole appliance. That job usually starts at $350+ if not under warranty.

Dan O.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
BTW. The compressor could be warranted for up to 5-years. Check the warranty papers or with MCA Corporation. If just the part is covered, labour could still easily be $150+ but they might give you an option of a discount on purchasing a replacement unit.

JMO

Dan O.