• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Magic Chef Wine Cooler MCWC50DST not cooling

mid man40

Premium Member
Model Number
MCWC50DST
Brand
Magic Chef
After my Magic Chef wine cooler stopped cooling (still power for the light,) I replaced the PTC starter and overload without success. Then, by jumping the brown and red on the control board, the compressor came on. I then put the frig on a timer (30 min on/30 min off). However, after a while, the compressor began to overheat. Why would cycling the frig on and off every 30 minutes (or hour) cause the compressor to overheat? Should I stop being cheap and and just spend the $$ to buy a new board for about $80ish? Thanks you any suggestions.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Too much compressor run time all at once. The system isn't designed to run for long periods. R134a can't take high temperatures for long periods before it starts breaking down to its chemical components. On some machines, the control monitors the compressor run time. If the set temperature is not reached at a set time it may turn the compressor off but leave the evap fan on to keep the air circulating. The control initiates a 5 minute time out and the process repeats. This keeps the compressor from overworking.

mcf-temp-control-board-312180200240-ap6034230_01_l.jpg

mid man40

Premium Member
Thank you for the great answer. I checked another site which suggested checking the bottom of the main control board to see if there were any contacts that looked bad. I jumped two contacts that looked burnt (maybe from a power surge?) and now the board works fine. I was able to waste lots of $$ on a new wine cooler. Thanks again.