• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED MAH2400AWW Maytag Washer - Screeching sound during speed up segment of spinning

tonysoprano

Premium Member
Model Number
MAH2400AWW
Brand
Maytag
Question: I am wondering how much life is left in my washing machine? Our Maytag washing machine makes a squeaking sound as it speeds up to its max rpm. Sometimes the screeching is continuous and lasts for 5, 10, or 15 seconds as it ramps up and repeats as it ramps down. It is intermittent at times as the drum starts to rev up to full max rpm. This only happens during every high-spin-cycle which happens about 2-4 times for a 33min-quick-wash. At low speeds and once it reaches the max speed, it doesn't make any noise.

History: The unit is about 7 years old. I have recently changed the drain pump which was broken by a coin! In the process of fixing that, I made a mistake of flipping the unit upside down. I read afterward that this was not a good idea. It also noticed I had dislodged one of the springs from the drum which I managed to remounted. The pump is doing well, so far. It has been 2 months. I don't know if the screeching sound has been there for a while and I didn't notice it, or I made it worse. I also washed a bath mat on gentle cycle alone which was a big mistake I found out later because it turned out to be a heavy uneven load.

What I've tried: When checked if the unit is balanced, I noticed it wasn't perfectly balanced. I don't know if this has been the case for the last 7 years or the floor is less flat overtime. Recently, I spent a lot of time balancing it which reduced the vibrations during its spin cycle and made the unit quieter. I rocked it to ensure it doesn't teeter. I checked the floor to make sure it is not slippery. I made sure adjustment jam nuts are tight. Both rear pulley bolts feels tight. The belt looks okay and tight. The gap between the drum and the hosing does change about 1/16".

Question; Now, I am wondering how much more life can I get from our washer? We can live with the noise. But, will this be a slow or sudden death? We don't want to be stuck without a washer. Is there any thing to try at this point? Thank you.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Tony,

If you can make a video of this noise and upload it here, that would help us determine what it might be.

Jake

tonysoprano

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

Thank you very much for your note and great suggestion. I went to attach a video of the 7-min spin cycle here for your review but the size, 811MB, was too large. Do you know the max file size I can attach here? Thank you.

Tony

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Max file size is here 50mb.

Upload it to youtube if its that big, then post the youtube video here.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That sounds completely normal to me.:)

No worries, they all sound the same like that. I have the full size Whirlpool Duet front-loader and mine sounds the same as that.:)

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help Tony.(y)

Jake