• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Mah3000

u118224

Premium Member
Series 17. I picked up the machine for free, it sat outside since February; however, I pulled the front and rear panels and it's clean as a whistle. I hooked it up to cold water outside and plugged it in. There are three problems; 1)The unit overfills and runs out the drain hose. 2) The door does not lock 3) It won't spin. My initial guess would be a wax motor and a main control board. As an FYI, the motor works fine, as does the pump. When I advance the timer to spin, the water valve shuts off. The machine was my dad's, and his recollection was that the timer was bad. However, I don't think the timer controls the water fill, that's the control board, correct? I would appreciate any thoughts.

Also, where can I get an owners and service manual? If the unit's not worth repairing, I will at least have some replacement parts for my 2000 stack.

Regards,

Larry

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Larry,

I hate to pour water on your free Neptune, but I'll let you know first that unless you have alot of time and/or money on your hands I'd suggest using it as spare parts.

I'll give you some links to our Neptune threads that you can look over and decide for yourself, a few members have used other members methods for repairing the main control board, which seem to work on most without having to pay about $200-$300 for a new main control board.

As for the water not shutting off, you have a water level pressure switch thats suppose to turn the water off once it fills to the proper level in the tub. Its located in the console on this model, I'd take the rubber hose off to it and blow in the water level pressure switch nipple and see if you hear a click sound, if so, that usually means its good, and blow through the rubber hose itself to clear any obstruction that may be causing it not to activate the switch itself.

Here's the Maytag Neptune Repair Manual:
www.applianceblog.com/manuals/MaytagNeptunenew.pdf

Here's some threads about fixing the main control board instead of replacing it:
http://www.applianceblog.com/mainforums/showthread.php?t=15889
http://www.applianceblog.com/mainforums/showthread.php?t=15605&highlight=R11
http://www.applianceblog.com/mainforums/showthread.php?t=15116&highlight=R11
http://www.applianceblog.com/mainforums/showthread.php?t=4476&highlight=R11

Jake

u118224

Premium Member
I blew into the pressure switch nipple and it clicked OK. I blew into the rubber line that connects to the pressure switch. It it clear, but I hear water bubbling when I blow into it. Is that normal?

I don't see any obvious problems on the control board. I'll get a multi meter and test it per the manual before I ask any more questions.

Regards,

Larry

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I blew into the pressure switch nipple and it clicked OK. I blew into the rubber line that connects to the pressure switch. It it clear, but I hear water bubbling when I blow into it. Is that normal?
Yes Larry, as there is some residual water down in the bottom of the tub.

Let us know what happens.

Jake

u118224

Premium Member
FYI, I'm testing the washer outside, water supply to cold only. I tested the washer with the temp control on cold/cold. Would there be an overfill problem with no hot water hookup, even if I ran the washer on cold/cold?

Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No, having it on cold/cold with only cold water hooked-up shouldn't make it overflow.

Jake

u118224

Premium Member
I bought an R11 Q6 repair kit with a new door lock wax motor and it's up and running. I did a load last night, it works great. The drain hose was cut off at the back of the machine because it was going to be junked, and that's where the water was pushing out when I was testing it outside. So, maybe it was a non issue. Anyway, it's working for now.

Thanks for the help.

Larry

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good Larry.:)

Jake