• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

MAH5500BWW belt install help

meadow

Premium Member
I replaced the motor/board with the conversion kit, but am having trouble putting the belt back on. The new motor pulley doens't turn freely like the old one, so it's hard to work the belt on by turning the pulleys. Any tips on installing the belt?

Thanks,
Mike

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Mike,

They can be abit tight to put on, what I do is put the belt on the motor pulley first, then on the big tub pulley, turning the big tub pulley, you have to pull hard to get it on.

If that doesn't work, loosen your motor mount bolts and see if you can get enough play/slack to get the belt on the big tub pulley, then once its on re-tighten the motor mount bolts.

Jake

meadow

Premium Member
Yea I was afraid of that. I'm sticking it in the sun right now - maybe the heat will get it a little more flex to put on.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good, let us know how it goes.

Jake

meadow

Premium Member
ok - I tried putting the belt on tonight with no luck...

2 questions:

1) the new motor pulley does not spin freely. Is that expected? (the old one did)
2) there was a link to a hypermart host site with tips on installing the belt. The link is now down, does anyone have a copy of the tips?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I sure your motor pulley should turn freely, it turns doesn't it?

I never have any trouble putting the belt on, all be it, yes its a tight fit, but force it, it will go on.:)

Jake

meadow

Premium Member
the motor pulley will turn a little if i grip it tight and force it to turn. it turns in steps (kind of like a stepper motor?)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Interesting, thats sounds a bit abnormal to me about having to grip it tight and force it to turn, but If I remember correctly I believe they did start making the new motors to turn more like a stepper motor.

I'm not sure what to advise you to do further on this issue, I've changed many of these motor kits in the last 10 years and never had a problem putting on the belt.

You may need to have an authorized Maytag tech. come out to see whats going on Mike. This issue your having is kinda out of the norm from what I've seen before.

Jake

meadow

Premium Member
I'll give it another try, seemed odd to me, since the old motor spins very freely.

It does make the belt install more difficult, since the resistance of the belt against the new motor pulley makes it difficult spin the tub wheel to install the belt.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Did you purchase the motor conversion kit from our site here?

You can go to your local appliance parts store in your area, and they will let you see if the motor conversion kits they have, and you can compare the motor pulley on one of there's to yours to see if they are the same, as far as the way they turn.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, thats fine.

Jake