• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED MAH5500BWW Maytag Neptune ?Electical? Problem

JaPithus

Premium Member
Model Number
MAH5500BWW
Brand
Maytag
Start at the Beginning...

For two or three months now, according to my wife, this washer has been 'acting possessed'. It would randomly turn itself on, and occassionally throw out 3 loud sequential beeps as if it just finished a load. We thought it was a cat hitting the buttons or something, but it just got much worse.

Last week, I went to wash a load of clothes and could not (initially) get it to power on (no lights on LED panel). After cycling the power through the breaker (at the fuse box) I was able to get it to power on, but the buttons would not consistently respond (press button but wouldn't light up/unlight). Moreover, some of the buttons would light up or turn off on their own (sometimes seemingly at random, but other times with a cascading (flashing) pattern, similar to the 'advertisement' mode).

A few choice words and a couple of power cycles later the washer started (on its own) and seemed to be working properly. It got all the way to the spin cycle, but refused to spin up to speed and wouldn't drain the water from the tub. The display just kept cycling between 9 and 10 and it kept beeping.

We shut it off, and I went online to do some research. It seems everyone and their brother(s) are having issue(s) with this series of washers.

While I was at work, my wife cut the machine back on (to see if faeries came and fixed it) and she was able to start a spin cycle and get the machine to drain, and the machine was responding to buttons as if it was working. But not wanting to make the issue worse, decided to shut the power off again (at the breaker).

I got home and using the instructions in the Serivce PDF, put the machine into diagnostic mode. I ran a clean service cycle test (no alarms), and a clean spin cycle test (got up to 1000 RPMs), and a second service cycle test (no alarms). I took it out of diagnostic mode, and tried running a normal cycle (with no clothes). It appeared to go through all the steps, but when it got to the end of the cycle, the lights on the LED (buttons) began flashing again, and it would not respond to any buttons being pressed.

I reset the power, twice, before it started responding again, and put it back in service mode. I then checked for Diagnostic codes, and the only thing I see there are several Code 15 (stuck button), and a couple Code 10 (severely unbalanced load, but I think that may have been from months ago when we attempted to wash a horse blanket). When I checked the Help codes and it was a few Code 19's (Powered off unexpectedly, I assume because of me shutting it off at the breaker), and one Code 40 (Motor running and door is not locked, but I have no idea how old that is).

I ran another service cycle and spin cycle and both ran cleanly. I did a membrane pad check, and two buttons will not consistently light up/unlight: the Normal Soil button and the Delicates button.

I am pretty certain that the issue is that I need a new Membrane Pad, like this one:

Touchpad and Control Panel 22003238 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

But the fact that it keeps going 'nuts' with the buttons/lights has me worried that I may also need a new Control Board, like this one:

Main Control Board WP22004299 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Being that the parts are each in the $200 range, I can't exactly just order both and suck up the loss, nor can I order one or the other and hope I chose the right side of the coin.

I cracked open the machine control case, again using the instructions in the manual, and found the troubleshooting guide. Unfortunately, the touch pad switches are all enclosed, so I can't see if it's something as simple as one of the buttons being stuck 'on' or 'off'. I eyeballed the wiring and circuits of the master control board, and do not see any obvious burnouts, broken connections, or loose wires, but I lack an Ohmeter to confirm that the individual board components are passing the proper resistances.

I am hoping that there is a way I can cleanly (and relatively surely) confirm or deny that the issue is with one or the other part before I go ordering it to replace. I've never worked on a Washing machine before, and I lack diagnostic tools beyond google, my brain, and what little I have in my toolbox. I'm hoping that someone with some experience with this thing may have better advice. I know this isn't the 'Door lock wax motor' problem, as this particular model has the solenoid. It also doesn't appear to the other common 'motor control board' problem, as it's passing spin and service cycles without issue and isn't giving me any diagnostic codes about those parts. I honestly think that it's just a button that's screwed up (and probably in a 10penny way) but short of breaking the plastic on the back (inside) of the touch pad, I don't know how I can confirm that, nor assure myself it's not the control board going crazy.

Any help or advice would be appreciated, thank you.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, you will need to order the control panel membrane assembly for sure. Now on your model, yours has two different ones, please post your serial# and I can tell you which to order.

Another good thing about ordering through our site is, if you purchase parts from our links and banners and it doesn't fix the problem you have 365 days to return them for a FULL refund.

With the other problems your experiencing, it just all may be related to the membrane. So I would just order that first and see if everything else is back to normal.

Jake

JaPithus

Premium Member
Model No: MAH5500BWW
Serial No: A8980952CX
Year Purchased: 2003

Thank you for the help.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

JaPithus

Premium Member
Thank you again, placing the order now. I will let you know how the repair goes when it get's here.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.

Jake

JaPithus

Premium Member
Order came early, got the membrane pad last night.

I replaced the pad. I ran a membrane pad check, and all lights are green and it completely passed. I ran a service cycle, and I got a code 15 (stuck key) when it finished. It had the little . by the code to indicate that the diagnostic code happened on this cycle.

Just to be sure, I ran another membrane pad test, a board input and output test, a spin cycle test and another service cycle. All passed. While I was going through the testing though, at one point, the board lit up, like it was doing before (with just seemingly random lights coming on), but unlike before the membrane pad replacement, the machine was responding to buttons, and I was able to get out of it just by hitting the off key.

I cleared the diagnostic codes, just in case the 15 was an artifact from the previous pad, and re ran all the tests (membrane pad, service cycle, board input/output, and spin) with all tests passing. I am running an actual load right now, to see what happens.

However, the fact that I got another code 15 (stuck key) after replacing the membrane pad, and the fact that the lights when all crazy again, has me worried that the problem is in the control board and not the membrane pad.

What do you think? How should I proceed?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, thats interesting because the stuck key would be in the membrane, unless the control board is giving a false reading in the diagnostics.

So I'd order the control board now and re-install your old membrane and see that fixes it, if it does, you can return the new membrane back for a full refund.

Here's the control board for your model you can order:

Jake

JaPithus

Premium Member
I'm wondering if it's not an artifact from the previous pad though...

After clearing the diagnostic codes, I ran a few service cycles and have just run two loads through it with not one indication that anything's funky.

At $200, I'd hate to order it just to check, especially if I end up having to send one or more parts back.

Would it be okay to wait a day or two to see if the error/behavior pops up again? Or is this something I should replace before it screws another part of the machine up.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
It would be fine to wait a day or two.

Yes, Let us know if its still ok.

Jake

JaPithus

Premium Member
Well it's been like 5 days and easily a dozen full wash cycles (along with a handful of service cycles just for paranoia). I've received no code 15's and there's been no 'flaky behavior' since changing out the membrane pad.

I'm like 99% positive that first code 15 right after installing it was some kind of artifact in memory from the previous pad or something.

Since the thing is running smooth, I'm going to call it fixed and thank you again for the help and advice.

It sucks that I had to pay ~$180 for something that was probably a 3¢ pressure switch, but I suppose that's modern appliance design for you.

This isn't something I've done before (and hopefully never again) but the expertise you provided made me feel much more comfortable trying to tackle it on my own rather than call a service guy out. I very much appreciate it.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds like the membrane was it, good job.:)

Jake

ERicJ

Premium Member
Three buttons (Quick, Hand, Down) failing Membrane Test and three LEDs on the water temperature are barely visible. Can you please provide control panel part number for:
Model No: MAH5500BWQ
Serial No: 10794278YY
Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

ERicJ

Premium Member
Thank you for the prompt reply.

If color doesn't matter, then White is your only choice now.:)

Nah, color doesn't matter. I only ended up with Bisque because Sears had a deal on that color when I bought it 17yrs ago.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Got it.:) Bisque was mush popular back then.:)

Jake

psteehler

Thank you for everything. I ordered the part, had it overnighted and it took me about ten minutes to install. You guys are very helpful and awesome.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad to hear the membrane console fixed yours too.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake