• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED MAH5500BWW Maytag Washer cycle stops at door lock, resets

PatrickGSR94

Premium Member
Model Number
MAH5500BWW
Brand
Maytag
We have a MAH5500BWW that my family has owned since my parents' previous house was built in 2003. It has always worked pretty flawlessly, until today. My wife put probably too much laundry into the tub, started it, but then tried to pause it to unlock the door and add something. The door wouldn't unlock, and LO displayed on the screen. She tried unplugging it for awhile. Now when the cycle starts, the water starts filling the tub, but as soon as the door lock solenoid signal is sent, the whole display cuts off, then all LED's come on for a second, and it appears to reset itself, like when the door is opened or closed and it shows the last cycle's setting and the minute run time on the screen.

I've tried going into Service Mode, and doing output tests on the Door Lock solenoid. Sometimes the test will run fine, sending the 60 ms signal every few seconds. But other times the screen cuts off again and resets back to start a wash cycle, instead of activating the solenoid. Seems like more often than not the display resets.

I'm dreading that the problem is the $400+ control board. But I guess that's less than a whole new washer/dryer set. We're planning on moving next year and would like to get a new set at that time, so we really don't want to have to replace these now and then have to move them later.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Patrick,

Yes, the problem is the control board, what is the serial number of your washer?

Jake

PatrickGSR94

Premium Member
Well I don't have the serial at this moment. But I found this used control board 6-2729390 with 1-year guarantee that I'm thinking will be our best bet since we're not planning on using these machines much longer.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Its very important to get the serial because the serial number tells you the CORRECT board to order.:)

Jake

PatrickGSR94

Premium Member
Serial B5088516GJ

hope it’s right because I already ordered it. However I haven’t seen any other part numbers for the MAH5500BWW washer besides this one.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Nope, that one won't work on your model.

This is the main control board for your model and serial number:
Main Control Board 22004488

But it's No Longer Available new anymore.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Lets hope its good, $20 sounds too good to be true.

Jake

PatrickGSR94

Premium Member
Yeah we'll see. It says it was working when they took it out. If it doesn't then I'm not that concerned about $20. But it was literally just about the only one I could find.

If this doesn't work I may have to go the cheap $450 new washing machine route.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Patrick, sounds good. Fingers Crossed. 🤞

Keep us posted.:)

Jake

PatrickGSR94

Premium Member
FINALLY got the right part today and the washing machine is working again! After 2 eBay attempts getting the wrong control board part, I finally found the correct part for $80. Only it arrived 4 days late. A day short of 2 weeks without a washing machine. But it’s back together and running just like before!

Luckily the first 2 parts sellers both issued me refunds so I wasn’t out any extra money. That second one that was $20 had the correct 22004488 number in the description but it was the same part as that first one I bought.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Patrick, glad to hear that.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake