• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED MAH5500BWW won't tumble/spin

meadow

Premium Member
Model Number
MAH5500BWW
Brand
Maytag
I had posted the question about installing the belt on the conversion kit, but decided to test the motor itself. It still does not tumble/spin with the new motor control board and motor.

When running through the test modes the following occurs duing the cycles - door locks, fills with water, does NOT tumble, drains water, does NOT spin.

The reason I assumed it was just the motor/motor board is that the fuse was open on the original board. However, now it appears something else is also bad.

Could this be a bad main control board and what should I check at this point?

Thanks,
Mike

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Mike,

Yes, its possibly your main control board inside your console, open your console up and you will see it along with your diagnostics sheet.

They make 2 different control boards for your model, please post the serial# of your washer and I can look-up the correct one for your model.

Jake

meadow

Premium Member
S/N 71783653ZK

So is there any troubleshooting that can be done to confirm the main control board?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks,

So is there any troubleshooting that can be done to confirm the main control board?
Yes, like I said, your troubleshooting sheet is inside the console, it tells you what to check.:)

I'm attaching the online one for your model below.

Jake

Attachments

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sorry, I forgot to post the control board for your model based on your serial#.

Here's the control board for your model you can order here:
22004299 C.BOARD(LED)UD0205 - AppliancePartsPros.com

If you purchase parts from our links here and you install them and it doesn't fix the problem, you have a 365 day full refund when you return them.

Jake

meadow

Premium Member
Well the new control board seems to have done the trick. The new motor now turns in test mode.

I'm still having trouble in getting the belt back on. I've used a short utility (crow bar) type tool, which gives me additional leverage, but i'm still having a hard time keeping the belt from slipping off on the other side. Any more ideas? Or is it time to call the service man?

(btw - I consider myself pretty handy, so this belt install is that much more frustrating)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad the new control board fixed it.:)

Yes, I remember the belts being hard to put on, but I've always been able to get the ones I did on, if you can't get the belt on, then you will probably need to call the service man.

Jake

meadow

Premium Member
Alright - found the trick on getting the belt back on (yea it's really not hard at all). Ran into another issue though, when i run the quick spin diag test the motor turns for a sec and then stops. After 30 secs it will run for another second and then nothing. I can hear an occassional whirring and click, but no movement of the tub. The belt is still tight, so it's not slipping.

When I turn the unit off and try to turn the tub by hand it initially is stuck, won't budge at all, but eventually loosens and I can turn it freely.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Good job getting the belt on.:)

Not sure whats going on in the quick spin diagnostics test, but are you able to run the washer normally now with regular loads?

Jake

meadow

Premium Member
no it doesn't run. turns for a sec ,then stops. hear an occasional whirrr like the motor is trying to turn.

This is with both the motor/motor board and main board replaced.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I really don't know what it could be, this is very unusual, I've installed lots of these machine control boards and motor control assemblies with all working fine after-wards.

I'd double check all your connections to make sure you didn't put a connector in the wrong place on both boards.

If all the connections are right, you will probably need to have a Maytag tech. come out, or return the parts for a full refund and buy a new washer.

Jake

meadow

Premium Member
is it possible the solenoid could be bad? (my understanding is this model does not have the wax motor?) the door does lock and reflects as such on the control panel (lit LED), but could the signal not be getting to the motor control?

Would the difficult in turning the tub after running the spin test be due to the brake still being engaged? And after somet time of the unit being turned off the brake disengages?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
There's no brake, its possibly your tub bearing is causing it to not turn/spin properly.

The drum pulley should turn freely with no resistance.

Jake

meadow

Premium Member
when i turn the unit off and force it freehand it loosens up after a few seconds and I can turn the tub freely.

I ran it in another wash mode and was able to get the tub to spin for a few revolutions before it stopped again...what are the chances this is just a bad replacement motor?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Its possible its a bad replacement motor, I don't know what else it could be except the tub bearing.

If you bought the motor assembly from the link here, then you can return it for an exchange or refund within 30 days.

Jake

meadow

Premium Member
I don't have any of hte brown mess around the tub like I've read about for bearing issues.

I'm getting another replacement motor so we'll try again one last time next week.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good, let us know how it goes.

Jake

meadow

Premium Member
Well wouldn't you know it. I got my new replacement motor today and voila - washer works. It didn't need a new main control board either, it was just a bad replacement motor.

Thanks for the help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad it was just a bad replacement motor.:)

Its very rare to get a bad one.

Jake

meadow

Premium Member
btw - the motor was apparently locking the pulley up when in use, which is why it was so hard to get the belt on ;)